Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
DarkRifft
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2
Xbox Live: DarkRifft

Re: Current Project Status (Updated September 3rd)

Post by DarkRifft »

Awesome updates. After seeing the progress made so far, i finally went and ordered my copy of Policenauts. Cant wait to play this game.
LiquidPolicenaut
Favorite Game: Snatcher, Policenauts, Lunar:TSS, Lunar:EB
PSN: LiquidSnake2047
Xbox Live: LiquidSnake2047

Post by LiquidPolicenaut »

I know you guys have been getting congrats, praises, blessings, etc. for all the great you have been doing and, recently, the addition of slowbeef's skills....and I thought I'd give you a little more :) A big round of applause to you slowbeef for bringing the whole translation back up to full speed and, of course, to Marc and Artemio also for all the work you guys have done so far and continue to do. Incredible job, guys. *applauds*
Great Solid Snake

Post by Great Solid Snake »

Thanks so much slowbeef and the rest of the crew for the great progress, I've been visiting this forum for a while and this has got to be the best progress I've ever seen by far. You guys are so close! Can't wait to try out the game and again I thank you guys with all my heart that have been working on the patch as well as everyone on this forum. This is one of the few boards in which everyone is polite and respectful

Cheers
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

The Patch will be released before this topic hits the page 100?
Yes or No? discuss!

:mrgreen:
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Now there's a good speculation question! If Slowbeef keeps things at this rapid a pace, then perhaps no. :P

Either way, I'm checking here more than I should be - I'm quite excited over the developments. All of a sudden, everything's started shifting towards some form of completion! Over at Mato's Mother 3 project, things are rapidly heading towards the Beta testing stage! (Which could mean about one more month's wait!) Persona 2's fan translation even has a release date of October 15th!

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the next status update over here. :D
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

Yeah, things really have sped up around here lately.

I think we've advanced 4 pages in the last week... It's becoming hard to keep up, lol.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Indeed, X_Lupin, things are getting quite exciting! On an additional note, Mato is entering the testing phase of his Mother 3 patch - That means 4-5 weeks left to go! Now that's amazing, right there.

I never realized how much I didn't care about modern games until I witnessed how excited I got to see Mother 3 in English! I really need to buy a current-gen system. :P
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

and I need to finish EarthBound so I can actually enjoy the Mother 3 translation. :P
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Post by Andrigaar »

X_Lupin wrote:and I need to finish EarthBound so I can actually enjoy the Mother 3 translation. :P
But, hohoho, did you finish Mother1/EB0? Might as well go for all three offbeat RPGs while you're at it.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Even EB0/Mother1 was truly groundbreaking for its time. I remember playing it when I was 12, and I still remember it in detail.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Magicant

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I indeed recommend Mother, or "Earthbound Zero." The last few areas are quite memorable. Overall, it was a great experience, one that I'm happy I undertook.

I recommend both, but I'd at least recommend finishing Mother 2, or "EarthBound," before playing Mother 3. No spoilers here, but I will say that some elements from Mother 2 show up in 3.
The Giddy Samurai

Post by The Giddy Samurai »

Hey, LONG time reader! Thought I'd add my 2 cents!
The whole process really seems to have picked up over the past year or so and over the last month we've seen some of the actual fruits of your labors!

We're all really grateful for the hard work you're all doing, I've wanted to play this game for years but have patiently waited for the best way to play it! (playing it with a script of the translation would be awful!)

Really looking forward to it, thanks go to everyone!
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I'm about halfway through Earthbound Zero at the moment. I got there a while ago, and then got sidetracked by other games. The news that the Mother 3 translation has inspired me to finally finish this game. Even as a NES game Earthbound 0 has tons of character. Plus, the solo traveling music may be some of my favorite RPG music ever.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Reminds me of how I prefer the original EarthBound's version of Fourside over Smash Bros. Melee's, but enjoy the remix of Onett more than the Famicom one. (Though, of course, I should mention that all four of the aforementioned songs are excellent.)

Once you pass the first half of EarthBound Zero, you'll find things pick up quite a bit. You'll enjoy it, though - It really does pay off at the end.
Andrigaar
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS

Re: Current Project Status

Post by Andrigaar »

It's completely off-topic, but has anyone noticed the horrific clusterfuck of nerd high horsing that's happened to the Persona 2 blog? Gemini's had to disable comments a few times, and I gave up reading any comments a while ago.

While forcing me to reg did keep me saying anything sooner. I'm just mildly cheery that it also seems to have minimized flame wars.

*sniff*
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yeah, having to register does help limit that kind of behavior.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Originally, I was going to write that making people pay for a forum helps limit that, but I actually did get an SA guy who IMed me to say that "he'll believe [this hack] when he sees it" and "hurry up already." (Shrug.) C'est la vie.

It's been awhile since a status update, but there's nothing terribly exciting to report from the tech end. A couple of bugs here we've hit, but nothing that looks too worrisome. Right now, Marc's in the process of providing us more data assets, and I'm currently working on some of the graphical stuff so that - provided Alpha goes well - the road to Beta won't be quite as long. In all likelihood, I think a Disc 1 Alpha is what we're all agreed will be the next major goal we're shooting for.

For the record, you'd think graphical hacking on the Playstation would be more fun than text, but it's really just a pain in the ass because the numbers in your disassembler no longer look like very much. Not that they did before, but they were at least somewhat easier to track as character equivalents than they were as pixel color values. I did accidentally learn that 0xAA is an ugly green in Policenauts' xRGB(555) color scheme, at any rate.

Also there's probably going to be less in the way of new media to show you from me since - after all - I don't want to spoil a whole lot before you get to play it yourselves. Maybe when the graphical stuff gets in a better stage, I can show that off earlier, but it's nothing terribly exciting (it's just making some of the Japanese subtitles into English is all.) Or maybe if there's weird non-sequitir stuff like:

But for right now, I'm back to talking to Lorraine... over and over and over.

If I had to put a number on it, there's about 3 separate points of development between Alpha and Beta right now (meaning features the team would like to add), but I'm currently only working on those since I've sorta got some downtime - the moment that we hit a serious snag or are ready for Alpha, I'm gonna drop that.

Also, if you're wondering why I switch from PSX to ePSXe, there's no great reason except I like to develop in PSX, but I sometimes do ePSXe for taking screencaps and video. It's also a nice sanity check to make absolutely sure everything's working right in both emulators - even though there's nothing emulator-specific about the hack. (We will be doing a test on real hardware when we're ready with no known bugs.)
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

As always, thanks for the update, Slowbeef. Don't let the "Internet Tough Guy's" annoy you. The rest of us are highly appreciative and respectful, and understand the weight of the project.

Overall, how's the game handling the hacks? It sounds like only mild bugs are surfacing, but it's otherwise playing fine.

By the way, thanks for limiting the spoilers. It's tough to avoid plot information, especially when you're following the translation patch's development.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:Overall, how's the game handling the hacks? It sounds like only mild bugs are surfacing, but it's otherwise playing fine.
That'd be a fair summary of things, I think. Two of the bugs are just "Hey can you add a line to your patcher so that it converts the Japanese long hyphens" or "Hey Marc, I think I don't have a translation file for this part." (I do now, in the latter case.) There's two more that might require a little more investigation, but no showstoppers.

That's why I'm working on the graphical stuff now - there's nothing that I feel requires full on attention right at this moment.
dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

Yes, thank you Slowbeef, for this hard work (and much more since it's not paid!).

I just rejoice myself since i'm the french translator for Policenauts, as the others translators are i bet :D
By the way, there's no reason that only slowbeef or Marc push out progress hehe :mrgreen:

I have so far fully translated to french the *game manual*, *the timeline*, the *entire game walkthrough* (the scenario is
so great that it would deserve a movie or a super anime!), and *half of the encyclopedia (25 pages on 54 all lot)*.

The font i use is the "Peignot" one for each texts.

Well, i hope that i could soon start the work on the script :D

cheers !
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

Wow... we might actually see a release after all...

edit: Do you have an estimate on when you guys will be finished? by year's end at least?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Ace Attorney wrote:Wow... we might actually see a release after all...

edit: Do you have an estimate on when you guys will be finished? by year's end at least?
Thanks for the confidence.

And no, we don't have a release date. It is good to see you back, after your incredibly insightful and constructive five posts. Good to see you haven't lost faith during those long months you've been around.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Andrigaar
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS

Post by Andrigaar »

slowbeef wrote:Originally, I was going to write that making people pay for a forum helps limit that, but I actually did get an SA guy who IMed me to say that "he'll believe [this hack] when he sees it" and "hurry up already." (Shrug.) C'est la vie.
Just don't get so pissed off that you, or anyone on the team for that matter, stop working on it. I've tried to learn Japanese a few times. Some still sticks, but it's just completely useless in my daily life and fades from memory :(

It's more off-topicness, but amidst the pangs of a release 2-weeks+1day away, Gemini just did the above. Anyone else who still checks the RSS daily would have already noticed.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Andrigaar wrote:It's more off-topicness, but amidst the pangs of a release 2-weeks+1day away, Gemini just did the above. Anyone else who still checks the RSS daily would have already noticed.
Gemini stopped working on Persona? I don't usually follow fan ROM hacks but I've been sorting of hearing more news about them lately for some reason.

edit: Oh, he delayed the release date. Poor guy. Maybe he and I should switch ROM hacking projects for a bit. :)
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

Artemio wrote:
Ace Attorney wrote:Wow... we might actually see a release after all...

Thanks for the confidence.

And no, we don't have a release date. It is good to see you back, after your incredibly insightful and constructive five posts. Good to see you haven't lost faith during those long months you've been around.
Hay guys! We'll be done the patch in late 2007, that's right!

I didn't know that the date I signed up for the forums indicated how long I've been following this project.