Why wasn't the PC98 ver. translated?

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Memnon

Why wasn't the PC98 ver. translated?

Post by Memnon »

There are translated versions of the MSX Snatcher, Metal gear 1 & 2, and SD Snatcher. I've always wondered why the PC-98 version of Policenauts has never been translated? Perhaps because it is a CD-Rom rather than a 'regular' rom, making it more difficult?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

There is no translated version of Policenauts whatsoever, any of them. And the reasons are multiple:

1) It is an enormous amount of work
2) There is a lot of text
3) There is a lot of technical and medical jargon in that text
4) There are almost no capable persons that are also interested that are also talented that also have the time.
5) It is the most uncommon version

As you can see, reasons 1-4 apply to all versions and 5 is specifoc. Of course any translation of the game would be more than welcome.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

Indeed. I would prefer Sega Saturn or PSX translations, but anyone should be welcome.
Hey! You still don't have a Sega CD?
What are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one?
Snake700
Major

Re: Why wasn't the PC98 ver. translated?

Post by Snake700 »

Memnon wrote:There are translated versions of the MSX Snatcher, Metal gear 1 & 2, and SD Snatcher. I've always wondered why the PC-98 version of Policenauts has never been translated? Perhaps because it is a CD-Rom rather than a 'regular' rom, making it more difficult?
So far there´s no version of Policenauts translated but Snake Plissken is working on translating the game how it goes i don´t know
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Last I heard, Snake was still having problems getting it off the ground, re. the problems emulating the PC98 system.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Snake700 wrote:
Memnon wrote:There are translated versions of the MSX Snatcher, Metal gear 1 & 2, and SD Snatcher. I've always wondered why the PC-98 version of Policenauts has never been translated? Perhaps because it is a CD-Rom rather than a 'regular' rom, making it more difficult?
So far there´s no version of Policenauts translated but Snake Plissken is working on translating the game how it goes i don´t know
Osiris wrote:Last I heard, Snake was still having problems getting it off the ground, re. the problems emulating the PC98 system.
Yeah, we're still have been having problems getting it off the ground, due to problematic support issues with TG-98, and necro project II might not be suited any time soon with PCE, or CD-ROM support.

But none the less the project hasn't been terminated whole. It's still in hybernation till my men can get the time, and working utilities to do so, then we'll see where things go. The issue alone is not the translation or patching (as I've hexed & patched PC98 games in the past), but the emulation again itself. So we'll see how things fly.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I never got the game to boot at all :(
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Snake Plissken wrote:
Snake700 wrote:
Osiris wrote:Last I heard, Snake was still having problems getting it off the ground, re. the problems emulating the PC98 system.
Yeah, we're still have been having problems getting it off the ground, due to problematic support issues with TG-98, and necro project II might not be suited any time soon with PCE, or CD-ROM support.

But none the less the project hasn't been terminated whole. It's still in hybernation till my men can get the time, and working utilities to do so, then we'll see where things go. The issue alone is not the translation or patching (as I've hexed & patched PC98 games in the past), but the emulation again itself. So we'll see how things fly.
I Really hope you can fix the problems
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I have purchased the PC98 version of the game, hoping it will run on my PC98...
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Osiris wrote:I have purchased the PC98 version of the game, hoping it will run on my PC98...
We are all crossing our fingers for you pal.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Osiris wrote:I have purchased the PC98 version of the game, hoping it will run on my PC98...
I hope so too. Are my frenchmen still in touch with you?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I never trust a Frenchman...

But yeah, I think I got all the missing system files I need from them. If not, I'll have to get in contact with them again.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

What exactly is it that makes the PC98 version the most suitable candidate for a translation project?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Crowley wrote:What exactly is it that makes the PC98 version the most suitable candidate for a translation project?
l don't think it's the most suitable of all. If anything, it's the most unsuitable.
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

The PC9821 version of the game was never translated because it was the most unpopular version.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Thank you, mister expert. You seemed rather sure of yourself there. Instead of stating opinions as if they were facts, perhaps you should have said that the PC-98 version wasn't translated because it came out on a rather obscure platform. But then again, no version has been translated, so specifying a version that "wasn't translated" is kind of redundant, I think. But for that matter, I doubt very many people outside of Japan have even heard of the NEC PC-9821.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

The PC98 version is the one I'd like to do a patch for after the PSX version. Hopefully it'll have better emulation someday.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Yes, I myself want to play that particular version the most.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Yes, we all love that one. The looks and the, I don't know how to put it, more "innocent" feel.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

I myself like the high-res graphics (which I doubt were that high in detail on the console versions), even though the high amount of dithering slightly takes away from their effect. (Which leads to the question, does anyone know how many onscreen colors the PC-9821 was capable of?) I also like the fact that everything's apparently done in-game, as I'm not a big fan of FMV cutscenes.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

The original images used to make the console versions are in high-res, as you can see in the Visual Databook, but they are in a lower res in the actual game, unfortunately.

Like you said, that version is all in-game graphics, quite similar to Snatcher. The addition of anime sequences later on meant that the characters were all redrawn. You'll notice they have a much more rounded appearance in the first version.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Osiris wrote:The original images used to make the console versions are in high-res, as you can see in the Visual Databook, but they are in a lower res in the actual game, unfortunately.
Yeah, I guessed so. The PlayStation could do 640 x 480 resolution, though...I wonder why they didn't use that graphics mode.

And this Visual Databook you speak of, is this one of the extras that was in the Saturn version or something?
Dave
Kojima games owned: Snatcher Pilot Disk - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher CD-ROMantic - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher - SS (NTSC-J)
Policenauts Pilot Disk - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - PSX (NTSC-J) x2
Policenauts Limited Edition - SS (NTSC-J)
Zone of The Enders - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear - NES (NTSC)
Snake's Revenge - NES (NTSc)
Metal Gear Solid - GBC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid GH - PSX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC (Sealed)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Integral The Best - PSX (NTSC-J)
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid - DC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear>>Solid Snake OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 The Other Side OST
Xbox Live: Devin320

Post by Dave »

OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

So, after reading about this version of the game, I've decided that I really, really want to play it very badly, mainly because it's all done with in-game graphics. I'm very excited, and this is probably the lamest post I've ever posted here.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

If you want to play it that badly, you can, it's just that the sound will be all messed up.