Just finished Sega CD Snatcher for the first time....

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
ActiveAero

Just finished Sega CD Snatcher for the first time....

Post by ActiveAero »

....and am truly amazed. I can't believe how unheard of this game is and I believe it has cemented itself into being one of my top 5 games of all time. I've already started to replay it and that for me is truly the mark of a great game. I believe my experience was also slightly heightened by the fact that I only played the game at night. I work until 12am in the morning so after work I'd get home, plop down in my chair, turn off the lights, and resume my investigation. Being as the game seemingly takes place entirely at night I felt like Gilian and myself were on the same sleep schedule lol. :smile:

I think a lot of modern game developers should take a step back and look at games such as Snatcher. It is sad that a game developed nearly 2 decades ago with vastly inferior hardware can create a story and game world more immersive than 90% of today's offerings.

I also have a few quick questions.

1. I have started to replay the game and this time around when I call Jamie for the first time she is not lying on her bed. She is in fact fully dressed and heading out the door to go see her doctor for memory recovery treatments. Why is it different this time around? Gameplay time?

2. Is there anyway to adjust the Junker's Eye difficulty? During my first time through I believe Metal Gear only upped the difficulty level to intermediate even though I was achieving constant perfect scores.

3. My game play time was a little over 6hrs my first time through. Is that about average? I felt that I was very good with the shooting sequences being as it only took approx 5 attempts to win the final battle but other than that I feel like I definitely took my time and I feel like I practiced with Junkers Eye a good bit. Are there any little bonus story sections that I could have accidentally skipped over that aren't really relative to the game advancement? I don't want any specific details but I wanted to make sure I pick up anything I missed this time around.
Dave
Kojima games owned: Snatcher Pilot Disk - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher CD-ROMantic - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher - SS (NTSC-J)
Policenauts Pilot Disk - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - PSX (NTSC-J) x2
Policenauts Limited Edition - SS (NTSC-J)
Zone of The Enders - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear - NES (NTSC)
Snake's Revenge - NES (NTSc)
Metal Gear Solid - GBC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid GH - PSX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC (Sealed)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Integral The Best - PSX (NTSC-J)
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid - DC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear>>Solid Snake OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 The Other Side OST
Xbox Live: Devin320

Post by Dave »

1. Depends on when you call

2. Metal adjusts it as you progress, I'm not sure what the highest level is though

3. There are no major occurences that you can overlook. There are, however, numerous bonus encounters that you most likely missed the first time.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Glad you liked the game! It is indeed a classic.

As for extra stuff, make sure you explore all the Look and Search options in an area. You might have already found them, but we don't want to say what they are, obviously.

Also try messing around with the videophone and Jordan. :)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

If I recall correctly, Metal ups the leevl every there times you get a perfect score. It can get quite challenging.

And as it has already been sauid, explore all options several times, until you get the same results. There are tons of little details everywhere.

(The spoiler is really just a hint to get a couple of even more events)
Spoiler:
Even experiment having game overs and not saving =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Arjak

Post by Arjak »

Have you tried...
Spoiler:
Investigating Alton Plaza on your first visit?
Spoiler:
Investigating oustide Plato's Cavern?
Spoiler:
Calling the secret phone numbers?
Spoiler:
Shooting Jaime at the end?
Spoiler:
Not saving your game at all during the factory scene and then dying in the insector fight?
Spoiler:
Dying in the first insector fight, continuing, and playing until you see the chief?
Spoiler:
Harrassing Mika at the beginning of the game?
Spoiler:
Wandering around the lobby a lot at the beginning?
Spoiler:
Harrassing Katrina?
Spoiler:
Junking the snatcher in the Queens Hospital operating room without taking a hit?
Spoiler:
Picking up a girlfriend at Alton Plaza?
Spoiler:
Taking off your mask inside Outer Heaven?
Spoiler:
Practicing with a rapid fire controller?
Spoiler:
Shooting only humans during practice?
Spoiler:
Getting a perfect practice score for Mika, and then doing badly for Metal?
Spoiler:
Using the motion detector repeatedly in certain locations?
Spoiler:
Walking through all three doors on the first floor of Queens Hospital and then investigating the floor in the lobby? (MSX/PC88 VERSION ONLY)
Spoiler:
Introducing yourself to Napoleon repeatedly?
These are just a FEW of the things you can do!
ActiveAero

Post by ActiveAero »

Snatcher wrote:If I recall correctly, Metal ups the leevl every there times you get a perfect score. It can get quite challenging.

And as it has already been sauid, explore all options several times, until you get the same results. There are tons of little details everywhere.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the input.

However, Metal definitely doesn't up the level after three perfect scores (and yes I mean REAL perfect scores with no wasted ammo). I might go on a Junker's Eye marathon tonight to try and figure it out.
Reborn from the Ashes

Post by Reborn from the Ashes »

ActiveAero wrote:
Snatcher wrote:If I recall correctly, Metal ups the leevl every there times you get a perfect score. It can get quite challenging.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the input.

However, Metal definitely doesn't up the level after three perfect scores (and yes I mean REAL perfect scores with no wasted ammo). I might go on a Junker's Eye marathon tonight to try and figure it out.
These are just my experiences, but Metal won't move the Junker's Eye difficulty past the first level until you are on Act 2. In Act 2, you need 3+ perfect scores (no wasted shots) in the Intermediate level for Metal to move the difficulty up to the highest level. (Super-runner class.)

Just to add, on my file Metal moved the difficulty up to the highest level just before I left for Queen's Hospital for the first time, and if you fail about three times in a row, Metal will move you back down to the Intermediate level.

Hope that helps. :)