Why the game was never localized

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Why the game was never localized

Post by Marc »

I have a theory as to what actually happened that I feel includes all the evidence and accounts given by various people.

There was no localization for the 3DO version because it was a weak format. I remember hearing of plans to port it but maybe the sales of Snatcher made them think twice (another weak format). If they had decided to go ahead with it, it might have gone the way of the Saturn attempt (see below).

There was no localization for the PS because of the cigarette issue (my best guess). Hard to imagine this was ever an issue after games like San Andreas!

Now for the Saturn version, Kojima's department had some talks about localizing the game, and while these were going on, KoA decided to start distributing press materials in anticipation for its release. When it was decided there wasn't going to be one (apparently because of timing problems with dubbing the anime scenes), KoA just stopped talking about it. If these were only internal, preliminary discussions, this would explain why Jeremy Blaustein (who worked at KoJ at the time) said he never heard of any plans to fully release the game.

Anyone who says the game was X% translated is simply citing a rumor that has never been substantiated and probably isn't true. Same goes for the "[Insert magazine here] ran an English-language preview of the game in an issue." So where are the scans?? All it takes is 1 person to start a rumor and to tell 2 people he heard it from someone else, and it starts spreading.

Anyway, comments are welcome. :)
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I think the main reason is that Konami were a little disappointed with European and American sales of Snatcher, and the translation process was going to be difficult and costly, so they didn't want to take the risk.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

That's what I thought, too, but then a few years ago I read that Kojima said they were going to make an English version until they had the problems with the timing of the dubbing. He says this in his one-on-one talk with Mamoru Oshii in the white strategy guide. But the sales of Snatcher were surely a factor, though. We'll probably never know the whole truth.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Around the time the game was to come out gaming was becoming more mainstream in the US and the market for adventure titles not having anything to do with Myst pretty much died. That might have something to do with it as well, although I think the game would've sold really well for Saturn over here in America.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Another misconception that needs to be clear up:

Jeremy Blaustein never offered to translate the game for free on KoA's forums. It was Nick Des Barres (Nick Rox) who did. He was one who reviewed the import versions of Policenauts for GameFAN and apparently he did some translation work himself after leaving the magazine.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Is he really Michael Des Barres's son? That's what I've heard. He is probably best known as Murdoch on MacGyver.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

One thing that has always bugged me is that if there really were timing problems about dubbing voices, then they could just translate subs and texts and keep voices in Japanese. After all, this was not Snatcher anymore, as all the voice dialogue present in the game is entirely subbed. Much better releasing the game not-dubbed but fully translated, than just canning its release for a reason like that.

But oh man, they would say, how could you release a game in western markets in 1996 with such weird and exotic voices? Nah. Canned and no western version. Nobody is gonna miss it at all.

Then I look to Panzer Dragoon Saga (even with its extremely limited release) or Shenmue II for Dreamcast (although this was an european-only decission, and not counting with Xbox further release), and even if they weren't commercial success, at least they were released in some kind of way.
Hey! You still don't have a Sega CD?
What are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one?
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Wesker wrote:One thing that has always bugged me is that if there really were timing problems about dubbing voices, then they could just translate subs and texts and keep voices in Japanese. After all, this was not Snatcher anymore, as all the voice dialogue present in the game is entirely subbed. Much better releasing the game not-dubbed but fully translated, than just canning its release for a reason like that.

But oh man, they would say, how could you release a game in western markets in 1996 with such weird and exotic voices? Nah. Canned and no western version. Nobody is gonna miss it at all.

Then I look to Panzer Dragoon Saga (even with its extremely limited release) or Shenmue II for Dreamcast (although this was an european-only decission, and not counting with Xbox further release), and even if they weren't commercial success, at least they were released in some kind of way.
A lot of characters in the game are American. In Japan they had to speak Japanese because of the target audience. But in the USA listening to two guys from LA speak Japanese would just seem weird. So I think that that was a good reason to cann the translation.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

ratperson665 wrote:A lot of characters in the game are American. In Japan they had to speak Japanese because of the target audience. But in the USA listening to two guys from LA speak Japanese would just seem weird. So I think that that was a good reason to cann the translation.
Actually, that's a poopy reason to can a translation.

Think of all the anime that's been released over here where people have spoken English in the dubs when they don't need to.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

ratperson665 wrote:
A lot of characters in the game are American. In Japan they had to speak Japanese because of the target audience. But in the USA listening to two guys from LA speak Japanese would just seem weird. So I think that that was a good reason to cann the translation.
That's about the dumbest reason to can a translation. Foriegn characters in movies all speak english, even though they are from other parts of the world, and it's not considered "wierd". Talk about American ego, damn. Anime is usually better subbed than dubbed (the dubs usually sound horrid along with the timing issue), and the people who watch them tend to agree (except for illiterate asswipes that can't be bothered to read anything). So, yea, it's a shitty reason.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

ratperson665 wrote:A lot of characters in the game are American. In Japan they had to speak Japanese because of the target audience. But in the USA listening to two guys from LA speak Japanese would just seem weird. So I think that that was a good reason to cann the translation.
Not you again, mr dubber. I saw they closed you a topic concerning on that, so don't go through the same childish attitude again, please.

Look. I don't care if characters present in the game are americans, chinese, or martians, and what language are they speaking. That's not relevant.

The only thing I want, and I'm sure also everyone here, is having and playing the game in the minimal way we all can understand it. That's it, with a text translation.

There's no need for dubbing because, again, all speech dialogue present in the game has subs, as opposed to Snatcher. Then, I would have KILLED for getting an official western release of the game with English textscreen, no matter the language spoken (actually, Japanese voices of the game are pretty good). And the possibility of Japanese voices and English texts could have turned into reality if they would have considered it.

If you want a Japanese game respecting your precious gaming context, then go and get a survival horror game like Resident Evil (Biohazard in Japan) or Silent Hill. They have English voices even in their japanese versions, so I'm sure you'll be very glad with them.
Hey! You still don't have a Sega CD?
What are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one?
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Wesker wrote:
Not you again, mr dubber. I saw they closed you a topic concerning on that, so don't go through the same childish attitude again, please.

Look. I don't care if characters present in the game are americans, chinese, or martians, and what language are they speaking. That's not relevant.

The only thing I want, and I'm sure also everyone here, is having and playing the game in the minimal way we all can understand it. That's it, with a text translation.

There's no need for dubbing because, again, all speech dialogue present in the game has subs, as opposed to Snatcher. Then, I would have KILLED for getting an official western release of the game with English textscreen, no matter the language spoken (actually, Japanese voices of the game are pretty good). And the possibility of Japanese voices and English texts could have turned into reality if they would have considered it.

If you want a Japanese game respecting your precious gaming context, then go and get a survival horror game like Resident Evil (Biohazard in Japan) or Silent Hill. They have English voices even in their japanese versions, so I'm sure you'll be very glad with them.
I closed that topic. Check the last post on the thread.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

James_The_Stampede wrote:Anime is usually better subbed than dubbed (the dubs usually sound horrid along with the timing issue), and the people who watch them tend to agree (except for illiterate asswipes that can't be bothered to read anything). So, yea, it's a shitty reason.
I resent your comment of people who are illiterate. Unfortnately, with the school systems trying to handle so many kids nowadays all at once, many tend to slip through the cracks and often go unnoticed by their teachers. Don't mock those who are illiterate as being merely lazy or stupid. Learning to read is hard at any age if you aren't receiving the proper training.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Missing wrote: I resent your comment of people who are illiterate. Unfortnately, with the school systems trying to handle so many kids nowadays all at once, many tend to slip through the cracks and often go unnoticed by their teachers. Don't mock those who are illiterate as being merely lazy or stupid. Learning to read is hard at any age if you aren't receiving the proper training.
You have to admit that some people just can't be fucked with learning. Too busy with "the school football team" or "being cool in the hallways" or whatever the hell thier excuse is. Granted, the schooling system in our country sucks, but those who truly want to learn will seek the means to do so. Not every, but most.

Besides, most of the people actually CAN read, but they don't WANT to because it's inconvienient (I just call them illiterate to piss them off).
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

ratperson665 wrote:But in the USA listening to two guys from LA speak Japanese would just seem weird. So I think that that was a good reason to cann the translation.
You'd fit right in at Konami.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

James_The_Stampede wrote:You have to admit that some people just can't be fucked with learning. Too busy with "the school football team" or "being cool in the hallways" or whatever the hell thier excuse is. Granted, the schooling system in our country sucks, but those who truly want to learn will seek the means to do so. Not every, but most.

Besides, most of the people actually CAN read, but they don't WANT to because it's inconvienient (I just call them illiterate to piss them off).
I'm going to have to agree. I see what he's talking about everyday.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

my new theory.

Post by ratperson665 »

There are tons of references to Policenauts Kojima's latter games. (MGS) That's more than enough proof to me that Policenauts is his baby. His favorite creation. I'll bet that he was afraid of the US translators ruining it. I bet he thought Snatcher's great SCD translation was just pure luck. He wasn't willing to risk Policenauts.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Re: my new theory.

Post by Spike »

ratperson665 wrote:I'll bet that he was afraid of the US translators ruining it.
Then, why did he allow MGS1 (which was released later) to be translated into English ?

Your point doesn't make any sense.
dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

I personaly think that Policenauts is an elitist game from 'details and datas coming with the game'. Main problem is that translators are not given all the time they want to translate games in professional deadlines. So yes, a game like Policenauts would need
to spend a lot of time, being very meticulous, in order to get a correct translation.
So yes maybe kojima was afraid that it went fucked up.

There are many reasons..... i'm also sure that the lips syncing system involved is very complex, and they also would had to reprogram it to make it work with english dubbing.

The balance between cost and making it was not in favor of Policenauts.....
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

ratperson665 wrote:There are tons of references to Policenauts Kojima's latter games. (MGS) That's more than enough proof to me that Policenauts is his baby. His favorite creation.
That's just your assumption. Sure, he's brought up Policenauts probably more so than any other game in his latter titles, but still, it's not firm proof is it? Funny that hasn't been brought up before ('what is your favourite project you have completed so far?'). I actually believe his favourite work is probably Snatcher, but maybe that's just me.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Henry Spencer wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:There are tons of references to Policenauts Kojima's latter games. (MGS) That's more than enough proof to me that Policenauts is his baby. His favorite creation.
That's just your assumption. Sure, he's brought up Policenauts probably more so than any other game in his latter titles, but still, it's not firm proof is it? Funny that hasn't been brought up before ('what is your favourite project you have completed so far?'). I actually believe his favourite work is probably Snatcher, but maybe that's just me.
I never said it was a fact. That just prooved it to me. I could very well be wrong.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I'll end this right now. You know why it was never released? It's so fans could give it the translation that it deserves. Looking at other games from that time period proves how lazy translators can be, if their only motivation is money. (What you say? All your cash are belong to us.) Now, of course this isn't the real reason, but it's one we can all accept, for a little piece of mind, and more importantly, so we can stop bitching at each other. ;)
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

At least it wasn't an issue of keeping it from other regions, which was one popular theory. I still wonder why Square-Enix didn't bother with a Seiken Densetsu 3 port to the GBA or even virtual console, but that's another matter all together.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

American gaming industry in '96... Not really a relatively large ammount of money...
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Like I said, there's no way in hell that's the real reason, but it's an easily acceptable one so we can all stop fighting. Forget making sense for a little bit, and just enjoy the fact that it is now being translated by people who give a damn, and aren't gonna screw it up.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.