Regarding MPO and MGS4...

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Gnawzguz

Regarding MPO and MGS4...

Post by Gnawzguz »

It's probably not worth creating a new topic over, but I'm curious about the storyline to both of these games - whose in charge of them? Like, I know Kojima was in charge of the story for MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2 and MGS3, I guess essentially all of the cononical ones.

Tomokazu Fukushima and Shuyo Murata were co-writers with Kojima which is just someone in charge of drawing out the storyline through words - not creating it. I'm sure somewhere it's been stated whom is in charge of the story, but I've failed to notice.

Another thing: what's Murata and Imaizumi's relation to the game? Is Murata just an assistant director to Kojima or the other way around - what would he more than likely be in charge of? Imaizumi's a co-producer - what would he be doing? Seriously, I should know this, but something about it's confusing me. Kojima's always been the producer and director in the past and I guess I just want to know if this as well as MPO is still going to be his vision.

Is he still at the helm like the previous Metal Gear games? I'm sorry if I come off like an obssesive Kojima fanatic - I can assure you I'm not that bad and I think Murata and Nojiri and the likes are exceptional. I just want Metal Gear to be his, you know? He started it and I want him to finish it.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Re: Regarding MPO and MGS4...

Post by OtakupunkX »

Gnawzguz wrote:I'm sorry if I come off like an obssesive Kojima fanatic - I can assure you I'm not that bad and I think Murata and Nojiri and the likes are exceptional.
LIES.

J/k, and welcome to the forums.

Also, I should point out that it's okay to come off like an obssesive Kojima fanatic. Just don't come off as an obssesive Family Guy fanatic and you'll be just fine. ;p
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

MGS4 and MPO will hardly be the last games in the canonical series. Even after Kojima quits directing, they'll still be making games. Of course, I doubt Kojima would allow the quality to drop either, even if his name isn't under the directorial credits. I actually think using a new director will provide a nice change of pace for the series, just as long as they get a writer who doesn't take things as heavy-handedly as Kojima.
Gnawzguz

Post by Gnawzguz »

I'm just wanting to know who's in charge of the storyline for MGS4 and MPO. Seems like I remember in an interview somewhere Kojima saying he would still do the sdtoryline for the rest of the Metal Gear games but I'm not too sure.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

MPO
Producers : Noriaki Okamura & Shinta Nojiri
Director : Shinta Nojiri
Shuyo Murata & Hideo Kojima will overview the project.

MGS4
Producers : Kenichiro Imaizumi & Hideo Kojima
Directors : Hideo Kojima & Shuyo Murata
Writers : Hideo Kojima & Shuyo Murata
Gnawzguz wrote:what's Murata and Imaizumi's relation to the game?
Shuyo Murata is a "co-director" ; I guess he does part of what Kojima did previously alone (directing some cinematics, choose the gameplay, ...).
Imaizumi is a producer ; I think he tells the directors what is doable with the time and the money left, gives them some ideas, ... that kind of things.

Don't know if that's what you really want to know :? ...
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I think Kojima is keeping quite quiet about his involvement in MPO for a reason- it's a good way to see how gamers will react to a new director without any "No more Hideo" headlines in games magazines.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I hope they put the series to bed soon. Or at least give us a game where the other side isn't monitoring Snake the entire time.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Before the series is finished. They should at least make a game where we follow Snake while he was helping Raiden in Big Shell
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Snake700 wrote:Before the series is finished. They should at least make a game where we follow Snake while he was helping Raiden in Big Shell
No shit, and we should get back that level we just got to watch through movie clips of him escaping the Tanker.
Osiris wrote:I hope they put the series to bed soon.
I really hope so too, the cow has been milked too much, Kojima needs to create something new and vivid with his talents before he retires.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Snake Plissken wrote:I really hope so too, the cow has been milked too much, Kojima needs to create something new and vivid with his talents before he retires.
Ramen
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

Indeed, MGS4 needs to be the end of the series (which they definetly need to do, to tie up all the loose ends the series has, from MGS1-3.)

I'm curious to see what he could do with the Wii... Wasn't there a story somewhere he was working on something, like with Goichi "Suda 51" Suda? If so that'd be a total trip. I've never played Killer 7, but I have played Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked, and some of the ideas there were pretty off the wall, so a collaboration between them would just be insane. Especially with the wii's limitless potential.

DT
87th
General
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

DarkTetsuya wrote:I'm curious to see what he could do with the Wii... Wasn't there a story somewhere he was working on something, like with Goichi "Suda 51" Suda?
Project 'S'
DarkTetsuya wrote:I've never played Killer 7
Fix that
Gnawzguz

Post by Gnawzguz »

Snake Plissken wrote:... the cow has been milked too much, Kojima needs to create something new and vivid with his talents before he retires.
That's so true man. When people think Kojima they think Metal Gear - they don't think Snatcher or Policenauts and to be quite honest; those games were the shit. Sure he's produced before and produced some damn good games while giving Murata and Nojiri the role of director and letting them shine, but you know, I want to see him do something else - produce, direct and create the storyline for something else. Something that'll give me the same feeling as Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, and Policenauts did.

Something like when I first found out...
Spoiler:
... the exoskeletal blender slicing up everything was Grey/Gray Fox; when I found out Liquid was 'Master Miller'; when I found out Snake was cloned from Big Boss.
Metal Gear Solid needs a long and well-deserved sleep.

But about the storyline - is Kojima in charge of concieving the storyline? I know Kojima and Murata are writing it, but who's doing the original story? Like, Kris Oprisco wrote the DGN but the storyline was still the same as Kojima developed it, you know? Or like, how Ghost Babel was written by Fukushima but Kojima did the storyline.

And I take it nobody knows about who's concieving MPO's storyline - it's okay though. I know about the producers and the directors - I don't care who directs or produces them, I just want Kojima to be doing the original story and at least have a part in the writing.

And just as a favor; could someone please give a link to where Kojima states The Twin Snakes as conon over his Metal Gear Solid? I find that hard to believe.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Snake Plissken wrote:
Snake700 wrote:Before the series is finished. They should at least make a game where we follow Snake while he was helping Raiden in Big Shell
No shit, and we should get back that level we just got to watch through movie clips of him escaping the Tanker.
They should just remake MGS2 altogether from Snake's perspective. That'd be even better.
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I don't know just how many boss battles you'd get out of it, though. Olga, the Harrier, Vamp (probably just the sniping section) and Fortune can be expected, but I doubt they'd be able to add much else. They might try to force in an Ocelot fight, and possibly let you play in the section where Vamp first appears, but I couldn't think of much else.
Gnawzguz

Post by Gnawzguz »

So nothing's been said about the person in charge if the original story for MGS4 and MPO? And MPO's better be done by Kojima -- as well as the rest of the MG games that'll be concieved in the future. I don't mind a new director and producer and whatnot -- but I do care about who's in charge of the story and I don't think I'd take a MG game as seriously if Kojima didn't do the story, sorry.

I still could've swore he said he would do the future storylines and be a part in the writting in an interview though...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

He did say that several years ago, yes. He laid out the story and game system for MGS3, then asked the staff who wanted to head it, but since no one stepped up, he decided to do it himself.

You might be interested to know he didn't actually decide to direct it himself until September 2003, 2 years after he first began planning the game.
Gnawzguz

Post by Gnawzguz »

Osiris wrote:He did say that several years ago, yes. He laid out the story and game system for MGS3, then asked the staff who wanted to head it, but since no one stepped up, he decided to do it himself.
I wonder if he'll be doing that for all the future MGS games -- lay out the story and game design for the game and have someone else helm the director's seat.
Osiris wrote:You might be interested to know he didn't actually decide to direct it himself until September 2003, 2 years after he first began planning the game.
Wow, I didn't know that...

Kojima's a very eccentric man once you come to think about it -- again, come to think about it: he's a bit eclectic as well. He really is a brilliant man.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

I just hope that MGS4 doesn't become another RE4, if you know what I mean.

RE4 deviated so much from tradition that it became nothing more than some random survival horror shooter, which of course didn't make it RE.

We fear change.
"Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors. But today, we kneel only to truth."

-- Kahlil Gibran
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

I don't know. I thought RE4 was a good change over previous RE games. It added a lot to the story and made the gameplay exciting again.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

RE4 did have its moments, it was laden with action and violence. However, it still didn't feel RE to me. I missed Umbrella, I missed fighting zombies and overall I missed those eerie camera angles that seemed to make you unprepared for anything. Still, it was an enjoyable game, but it wasn't RE.

And that's what I'm hoping doesn't happen with MGS4. I have faith in Mr. Kojima though.
"Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors. But today, we kneel only to truth."

-- Kahlil Gibran
Gnawzguz

Post by Gnawzguz »

What's the difference between a writer/s, a scripter/s and a guy who concieves the storyline? Like look at the credits for MGS2:

Story: Hideo Kojima

Writers: Tomokazu Fukushima, Hideo Kojima

Scripters: Satoshi Hirano, Sadaaki Kaneyoshi, Yoshikazu Matsuhana, Shiro Mukaide, Shinta Nojiri, Shinji Yamashita, Hiroaki Yoshiike

That's seriously always confused me -- from the above info; who the hell did what?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

The general layout and thread is the story. The writers fill in the detail and work out the depth, and the Script is what the characters actually say.

Might be wrong, but it has always made sense like that to me...
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Don't the writers write everything and the scripters plug the text into the game? Kind of like working with hex addresses and such, maybe also having input with the placement. In any case, I can state for sure that all the text is written solely by the people under the "Written by" credit.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

That might very well be it Osiris, for the names involved you are right I believe. The scripters (in this case) are the people that do the scripting in the language of the game for creating the series of events while you play. Dumb me =)
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]