Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Re: Current Project Status (English Screenshots & Trailers)

Post by ShinjiPG »

Marc wrote:How many times do we need to say this? We will post an update when there is progress. You guys don't have to keep asking every fortnight. It won't change anything.

Maybe we need to lock this topic until then...
Do you really think anybody asked seriously?
'Twas just a joke :x
(Except MetalGearAlex, maybe)
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
MetalGearAlex

Post by MetalGearAlex »

Yeah, i was just joking too. honest.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Considering how close we are to reaching the post limit for this topic, I don't think locking is really necessary. Plus, without this topic, you'll just get people asking "the question" in every other topic in the forum.

I think the stalled efforts are just making some visitors a bit anxious. Since the newsletter service doesn't work too well, I can see why a lot of people frequent this topic. Remember, though, this is an ambitious project that has captured the attention of a very specific cult of Kojima fans - Thanks to MGS4's release and general Snatcher Awareness rising, more and more fans are learning of Policenauts' existence. Therefore, people are just bound to ask - It's just a question of how to deal with it, and, I must say, you've been handling things extreme well.

If I may recommend something, I'd say just post a little message every once in a while that states that the project is "still stalled" or otherwise. Perhaps, if possible, some light elaboration on the issue in question. Just something that people can hang onto so they don't feel they're in the dark, and, therefore, pressured to ask "the question." I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just understand that, the more time that passes without information, the more inquisitive people become. I'm simply suggesting this to relieve the stress that "the question" creates.

As always, we appreciate heavily what you and your team are doing for all of us. (I know the appreciation message is in all my posts, but I feel ungrateful if I don't convey this to you every time. This project means a lot to me, as it does many of us here.) I wrote this post with the best intentions possible, and I hope that none of the messages here are misconstrued.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Well said Kojima_Devotee.

Is there really a limit for the number of posts available for each topic?
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

K_D pretty much hit the nail on the head.

It feels like being left in the dark.

Although we know its not true, it almost feels like the project is dead with such a little information coming through. Hell, I haven't even seen any actual trailers or screenshots, just translations of previews for the game.
It'd be nice to see even a little bit of the progress.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

[Delete]
Last edited by Anubis on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Anubis wrote:In the two years this thread has been open, there hasn't been a single posted translated screen shot (except for what was in a scan of your magazine article)
You just rendered your own argument void, there. So what if they were in the form of a magazine article scan? Maybe they're keeping screenshots off the forums to avoid spoilers. Quit kvetching.

And there ARE translated trailers on the project's website! Do some research before you come in here complaining.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

[Delete]
Last edited by Anubis on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Anubis wrote:How many spoilers would be given away at some random screen in the game? Even a screen of a translated menu would be awesome.
Lol, I don't know man, some menus can give away quite a lot. With stuff like, Item, Talk and (spoiler alert) Use!!!
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

I just think that its good that someones at least making an effort to translate it. If nothing comes about....well, are those of us who can't speak Japanese that much worse off? If something does that will be really awesome. I'm much more willing to wait for a translation that learn another language.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

The Prince II wrote:I just think that its good that someones at least making an effort to translate it. If nothing comes about....well, are those of us who can't speak Japanese that much worse off? If something does that will be really awesome. I'm much more willing to wait for a translation that learn another language.
Well, I also think that people who watch a lot of anime can probably understand around 30% of what's said (that's how it is for me), but it would be really hard to figure out their writing. I plan on learning Japanese, but I'd definetly prefer to play this game in English. If the patch never comes out, I'll be dissapointed, but I believe that they are working on it and it WILL come out some day. As to when, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. As I said, I am fairly new here, so if I were to complain that would be ridiculous. People who have been waiting a longer time are probably also accustomed to waiting, so they probably don't complain all that much either. I think this is a great community, so even if it takes another ten years for the patch to come out, I'll still be a daily visitor here.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I apologize for my little outburst yesterday, it was a rough night. There's no doubt in my mind the patch is being worked on, and I'm extremely appreciative of the time and energy the translators are putting into this project.

Sorry again :sad:
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Hopefully, MGS4 will help heal the waiting for this? :|
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Henry Spencer wrote:Hopefully, MGS4 will help heal the waiting for this? :|
Not for me it won't. Never liked the MGS games, and I certainly won't buy a PS3 just to play it. Give me an X360 port, and then we'll talk.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

8bitsonic wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Hopefully, MGS4 will help heal the waiting for this? :|
Not for me it won't. Never liked the MGS games, and I certainly won't buy a PS3 just to play it. Give me an X360 port, and then we'll talk.
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about them? I know a few people who didn't like the games because of the over-the-top bosses and storylines.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Uh... the very hackneyed storylines, the ordinary gameplay, the difficulty/not knowing what to do next...

Basically how they're adventure games kludged into action games to attract more popularity.

I honestly thought Kojima was a total hack until I found Snatcher. (Snatcher's got a ripped-off storyline too, but it manages to be a million times more fun and amazing for me than any MGS game)
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

8bitsonic wrote: (Snatcher's got a ripped-off storyline too, but it manages to be a million times more fun and amazing for me than any MGS game)
In your opinion.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

ratperson665 wrote:
8bitsonic wrote: (Snatcher's got a ripped-off storyline too, but it manages to be a million times more fun and amazing for me than any MGS game)
In your opinion.
Well, it IS a lot like Blade Runner (and other cyber-punk movies like that), but if you look at many of the classic western movies a lot of those were the same as each other. What you need to look at is if it takes the "old fabric" and turns it into something awesome. I'd say that snatcher isn't a knock-off, it's a fresh take on a not-so-used plot. At least that's my opinion.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

JimboKudo wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:
In your opinion.
Well, it IS a lot like Blade Runner (and other cyber-punk movies like that), but if you look at many of the classic western movies a lot of those were the same as each other. What you need to look at is if it takes the "old fabric" and turns it into something awesome. I'd say that snatcher isn't a knock-off, it's a fresh take on a not-so-used plot. At least that's my opinion.
It's all typical Japanese borrow-from-everything-and-arrange it, to me.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

shidoni wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:
In your opinion.
It's all typical Japanese borrow-from-everything-and-arrange it, to me.
Heck man, George Lucas stole the Star Wars storyline from a bunch of samurai movies and that turned out well (all except episodes 1, 2, and 3. DAMN YOU JAR-JAR!!!).
Pulstar

Post by Pulstar »

Same goes for The Magnificent Seven, which is a direct copy of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. It's alright to "clone" intellectual stuff as long as the newer material feels original enough.

Anyway, happy Terra day y'all!
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Pulstar wrote:Anyway, happy Terra day y'all!
Hey, isn't it also rainbow alliance week? (ugh!)
Lupin The Third
Xbox Live: Lupin The Third

Post by Lupin The Third »

I just found out about this project (I was looking for some images for a post on the TXB forums talkign about games we'd like to see on XBLA...obviously Snatcher and Policenauts would be perfect as downloadable titles on XBLA/PSN) and I think it's a great idea. I can't wait for the final patch to become available. Thanks to everyone who's making the effort to bring this lost gem to a whole new audience.
Lupin The Third
Xbox Live: Lupin The Third

Post by Lupin The Third »

JimboKudo wrote:Heck man, George Lucas stole the Star Wars storyline from a bunch of samurai movies and that turned out well (all except episodes 1, 2, and 3. DAMN YOU JAR-JAR!!!).
Grungeman77

Post by Grungeman77 »

omg lol! I didn't realize that until now. I gotta show this to my buddies, thanks!