Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Re: Current Project Status (English Screenshots & Trailers)

Post by Marc »

The project's been discussed there before. I don't think anyone is interested in the game.
Jonesy47
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake (MSX & PS2)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX & Twin Snakes for Gamecube)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4
Snatcher (Sega CD & PC-Engine CD)
Policenauts (Sega Saturn & PSX)
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
PSN: tyler's prophecy
Xbox Live: evansucks5000

Post by Jonesy47 »

Yeah, in just a day of asking around, i kinda got the same picture painted for me...
I dont really GET it but yeah, you may be right Marc...I guess kojima fans are more rare than i thought...
Tony26
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by Tony26 »

Hey Guys - just saying hi, I'm new here, but I can't wait for the patch, Ive recently purchased a copy from Japan in anticipation. Thanks for doing the project - you are stars.

Is there no way an early version of the patch could be release so we could play the game part translated?? Or would that be waisting time that could be put into completing the whole project? Just a thought - Cant' wait :)

Thanks again =D>
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Tony26 wrote:Hey Guys - just saying hi, I'm new here, but I can't wait for the patch, Ive recently purchased a copy from Japan in anticipation. Thanks for doing the project - you are stars.

Is there no way an early version of the patch could be release so we could play the game part translated?? Or would that be waisting time that could be put into completing the whole project? Just a thought - Cant' wait :)

Thanks again =D>
A lot of other people have been asking the same questions, but, from what I gather, the problem isn't the translation. It has to do with text implementation. That means that they can't even release a beta until they solve the problem.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

I think if they released an early version, it would just crash and glitch out when text attempted to display, meaning you would enjoy it more just playing the Japanese version.

I've played around the first act in Japanese, and you still get a good experience. Just don't go too far.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

X_Lupin wrote:I've played around the first act in Japanese, and you still get a good experience. Just don't go too far.
I wouldn't recommend you go further than the end of Act 1 if you don't know Japanese. Well, ideally you don't play it at all, but I'm talking about people who can't resist.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Jonesy47 wrote:guy almost seemed to give up on life when he saw how easy Gemini hacked it).
This "guy" should expect something like that after taking so long to hack the game. I had already lost any hope for that group some 4 years ago... I knew someone would appear and do in one year what they couldn't in 10. Bunch of lazy asses.

This does not apply to this translation, of course. I have much hope in you. Go, guys, you're almost there :).
Tony26

Post by Tony26 »

Guess there is nothing we can do except wait #-o

I have only a very little knowledge of the Japanese Language at the moment, and I don't really want to waste my enjoyment of the game by not knowing what the hell is going on!!

Did some people say they have played it all the way through without knowing Japanese? Did they enjoy it?
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

It was cool because I love the style of these kind of games, but now I wish I had waited. I'd literally followed the translation project for years and finally decided to just get through it on my own cos it'd never be done, and in the middle of my playthrough I hear "HEY we're almost done!"

d'oh

So yeah, just wait. Things aren't totally ruined though because the walkthroughs I've seen have minimal story. So I know WHAT happens, but no idea WHY anything did, haha. But it would've been better I'm sure to play through it w/o knowing anything, like Snatcher was for me (amazing).

The most I really picked up was story points I recognized graphically from movies. "Oh -- that subplot is from Die Hard." etc.
BIG BOSS
Tony26

Post by Tony26 »

Ok I guess I will wait, but without an estimated completion time im getting itchy fingers - all ready to go!!. So close yet so far :-({|=

Snatcher is ace!! love it!!! love it!!!, my gaming life would not have been the same without it! I can still pick it up to this day and play it all the way through. Thats why I'm hoping this game will be the same or even better!! (Slightly off topic - oops sorry guys) :-#

:grin:
Saikyo78
Favorite Game: Chrono Trigger
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Snatcher, Policenauts
PSN: Saikyo78
Wii Friend Code: 4484492002504192
Xbox Live: Saikyo78

Post by Saikyo78 »

Tony26 wrote:Did some people say they have played it all the way through without knowing Japanese? Did they enjoy it?
Yeah, absolutely! I might be in the same boat as you, knowing some japanese but not being able to speak fluently. I took a few years in high school, and used a walkthrough from the Policenauts/Snatcher shrine page: (http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough).

I really agree with Ghaleon (Lunar rules!!!!), though. I still had a blast playing it, even though I feel like I only got about 85% of what was going on. If you like Snatcher too, you'll really dig it. The main thing that it was missing for me though was the overall feel; like when you're playing Metal Gear and you access hidden codec conversations and find out more about the world and characters going on behind everything, etc. I really wanted to kind of dig deeper story and character wise, and it felt like it was pretty hard. I feel like without the patch, you'll get the main story, but I would say wait until the patch is out to get the full experience. I have to say that after playing through it though, I regret it now knowing that the patch is coming at some point.

Awesome game, but definitely worth the wait to experience it in it's full glory.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

sorry for bringing back an old post. marc, you mentioned not playing past act 1. why is that? does the story get more complicated? (sorry about lack of caps, im on my psp)
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I think it's also because Act 2 has a certain "infamous" scene that you'll definitely need a walkthrough for if you can't speak Japanese.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Tony26

Post by Tony26 »

Saikyo78 wrote:Yeah, absolutely! I might be in the same boat as you, knowing some japanese but not being able to speak fluently. I took a few years in high school, and used a walkthrough from the Policenauts/Snatcher shrine page: (http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough).
Blimey thats an extensive walkthrough!! :shock: Phew!! - not sure I could cope with reading that as well as playing along the game :grin:
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I think it's also because Act 2 has a certain "infamous" scene that you'll definitely need a walkthrough for if you can't speak Japanese.
Spoiler:
That, and a couple of shocking character deaths.
Tony26

Post by Tony26 »

OMG!! This game keeps sounding better and better!! I soooo want to play it now!! ](*,) :grin:
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

Well, I said to just do act 1 because it's pretty linear and you can follow whats going on very easily without spoiling more of the game.

Also, what about this Alex guy, does he still need the pool?
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

X_Lupin wrote:Well, I said to just do act 1 because it's pretty linear and you can follow whats going on very easily without spoiling more of the game.

Also, what about this Alex guy, does he still need the pool?
Does he need 2 pools? Maybe we should each send him a pool. Then we could move onto stuff like garden gnomes.

I started playing Act 1 and I was doing fine, but I ended up deciding not to go any further than
Spoiler:
the part where you have just been briefed about the case, and you have to go investigate at some type of company
It's very early in the game, so I donno if that could even be considered a spoiler. Every time I start playing that game I get more excited about the patch, so I always stop very early on.
abhi

Post by abhi »

will this version have english voices and which version of policenauts do I need to buy for this patch to work ?
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

abhi wrote:will this version have english voices and which version of policenauts do I need to buy for this patch to work ?
No voices, just text.

It is slated to be for the PS1 version of policenauts.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

Hey I read all the 59 pages from the start and I can't believe I didn't comment just once, even to say just "good luck!" to the translators!

I'm planning to custom firmware my psp just to play Snatcher and Policenauts on the go!!
MetalGearAlex

Post by MetalGearAlex »

Jack... you read all 59 pages? very good. I did too. that's some serious dedication and shows your not an ignoramous!

yay!

I am back from the dead. MGS4 is definitely an awesome games. it's getting a few criticism from certain peoples but that's because they are impatient. if you slow down and actually analyze the game, you'll see all the effort, detail, and thought put into the game. making game's is not easy... Kojima said himself that the team thought the "game would never get finished and people were close to giving up"... but they pulled it off. if you watch the bluray documentary that came with the lim ed. you'd understand.

the game is brilliant, and just like star wars when it first premiered-- people thought it was really short and they wanted more... nowadays... Star Wars 1-3 seem really long. and it is. that's good.

think about it. Metal Gear deserves to rest now. Kojima and his team did a fantastic job.

SO... WHEN IS THE POLICENAUT'S TRANSLATION GONNA BE DONE?? <-obvious running joke I had and got in trouble for.
ban me if you like. I love Kojima! I'm not here to annoy, just to be a part of the goodness that is junkerHQ
abhi

Post by abhi »

ok I assume it was supposed to have voices, so why dont the JPN voices at least be left intact ?

also will the music be affected
Gillian_Seed
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai, Boktai 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, (also Metal Gear Acid)

Post by Gillian_Seed »

abhi, I'm pretty sure the Japanese voices are going to be intact.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think x-lupin meant that there will be no english voices added in, only text.
However, the Japanese voices will still be there.
And music should also be unaffected.

All that's going to change is the text, from Japanese to English.
abhi

Post by abhi »

thanks

well I just want to play the game