Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Re: Current Project Status (1/14/09): Alpha Testing

Post by akor1108 »

nice. I'm glad SOME people got the joke.

happy birthday Artemio too.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Happy slightly late birthday man. :mrgreen:
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

ShinjiPG wrote:Happy Birthday Artemio!

(This forums doesn't even have a Birthday Thread or Random Thread. I would have to create a new topic just to say what I posted here... Which isn't even the most indicated place to post, but since the translation project is where all eyes are set to, I guess it makes some sense.)
THIS is the random thread :wink: .

Happy Birthday, Artemio :D .
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Happy Birthday
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

slowbeef wrote:Here, have an Easter Egg.

Marc and I had a big conversation last night about whether or not this was in the PSX version or exclusive to Saturn. It's one of many unlockable Easter Eggs in the game, and there's more stuff going on in this particular one that I won't spoil for you.

I found it in VRAM and through some more digging, we figured out how to get it. Anyway, this is indeed unlockable in the PSX version and, of course, in the hack.
Curse you slowbeef, now you've piqued my interest. :P (but if you really wanna keep all the details under wraps, I'll understand.)

I do wonder how you even get to that part in-game...
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

Happy Birthday Artemio! :)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Thanks for all the congratulation messages guys. I hope I can give you all some good news soon on the PN related stuff I worked last year, unfortunately I've been swamped with work at the office. I'll take a short vacation (Friday to Sunday) to relax a bit, but next week I'll probably have some time for it.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
supapowadood

Post by supapowadood »

This is my third username. I usually only view but I like to periodically give thanks and this is one of those posts. Ive been following this project for what seems like forever now and its great to see such progress. Much love to you guys. This is by far the most awaited translation ive ever had the pleasure of counting down to. You guys are great. Thank you all.
Haycob
Favorite Game: Mgs series, Probably soon to be Policenauts :D
Kojima games owned: Mgs 123 and Z.o.e games.

Post by Haycob »

I've also been following this project for years and would like to extend my thanks and support. :mrgreen: You guys rule !
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Thanks, guys. Your comments mean a lot.
krelian

Post by krelian »

feliz cumpleaño Artemio, que lo disfrutes...

you guys are gonna make history with this project, no seriously
cyrano
Kojima games owned: MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and MG: Portable Ops (never tried MG Ac1d)
Played snatcher in emulation as well.

Post by cyrano »

Happy birthday, Artemio.
I have said it twice before, but as we say in french, never two without three:

You guys are seriously awesome.

I don't know if you get tired of people telling you that, and I am usually not a cheerleader for many things, but this whole thing seems like such a feat that it forces respect. I find myself awaiting for that translation more than any game/book/movie/cd coming out any time soon.

Is there the vaguest ETA for the patch? I know you prefer not to give one, but just a very very very vague estimate? (as in: in a few days / in a few weeks, in a few months? June? Next winter? Before?). It feels like it's almost ready but that there is still quite a bit of work to do at the same time.. so it's pretty hard to assess how much work is left from our viewpoint :) .

I end up checking this forum at least once a day, and since I am starting to wrap up my work from the last five years into a very long thesis just about right now, if you can help me limit procrastination by telling me "don't worry about checking it for a while, it's not coming out right away", that'd help :p
(alternatively, you should block my IP for six months..) (also if you can include nanomachines in the patch code that would specifically block my computer from using the patch before aug 09, that would help too!)
Haycob

Post by Haycob »

Lol, I second that motion cyrano. Even the slightest hint of a ballpark ETA would be cherished and worshipped. Not to mention appreciated :mrgreen:
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

cyrano wrote: Is there the vaguest ETA for the patch? I know you prefer not to give one, but just a very very very vague estimate? (as in: in a few days / in a few weeks, in a few months? June? Next winter? Before?).
I really don't think this is going to last until next winter, or anything like that. We're now at the point where it's "big list of little things" to beta. (Last count, there's 58 - which sounds like a lot, but about 30 of them are kinda the same thing 30 times, so hopefully we can get to a point where we domino all of them in one shot.)

You really never know with this stuff, frankly. The motorcycle scene, which was about 10 lines of dialogue in the whole game, took over a month alone to hack. I'd say it's easily one of the more nightmarish parts of the whole thing. Meanwhile the image manipulation went from very hard to very easy wtih the new LZO decompressor.

So 10 lines of dialogue, which I thought would be easy, took over a month.

Defeating Konami's proprietary compression, which I thought would take 4-6 weeks, really ended up taking up about 1-2.

It's not our code, so it's just variable.

I think it's safe to say there probably won't be any major announcements in the next two weeks. If you don't want to keep checking every day, you can probably check back on or about Valentine's Day and we'll probably have another progress report.
Haycob

Post by Haycob »

Thank you so much for the speedy reply slowbeef. Ill be watching with much anticipation :D
akakak4747
Favorite Game: Snatcher and soon to be translated Policenauts

Post by akakak4747 »

Why hasn't anyone started a thread where you guess when the official release of the patch day is...and the winner gets something? :mrgreen: :P :x :cry: 8) :| :wink: :roll:
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

slowbeef wrote:I think it's safe to say there probably won't be any major announcements in the next two weeks. If you don't want to keep checking every day, you can probably check back on or about Valentine's Day and we'll probably have another progress report.
Now, wouldn't that be a sweet Valentine! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I'll try and check in more often then that, my friend. In the meantime, your hard work is appreciated heavily - I recall the year the project was stagnated. That was rough, and the board felt the pain quite badly. Now, it's a comfortable wait thanks to those progress reports, and we're all anticipating the eventual release heavily.

Thanks again for everything you're doing.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
RMF
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid / Link's Awakening
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Gameboy
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Acid*
Metal Gear Acid 2*
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by RMF »

I've been checking this forum out since summer last year and just want to add my thanks to the effort and time spent on the translation. I owned snatcher for the Mega-CD (Sega-CD) years ago and loved it, I imported policenauts out of loyality with no idea that I'd be able to play it in English years later! So big thanks to all involved! One big request is that you people please avoid all/any spoilers no matter how small, as I've made a concious effort to avoid all policenauts/story info so it'll be a new experience when I get to play it. Simply can't wait, most exciting 'release' of the year, way more interesting than anything the current gen offers.

P.S. was there ever a translation of PCE Snatcher?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

For the record, our count of stuff to do is down to about 40. So hopefully, we can knock that down even further in the coming weeks.
Haycob

Post by Haycob »

I don't know RMF. I seem to remember seeing something about a pce translation... But now I cant find it again :yuck:

And thanks for the update Mr. Beef! Keep em coming and good luck!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

RMF wrote:P.S. was there ever a translation of PCE Snatcher?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1389

And SPOILARS SPOILARS: Jonathan has BLUE HAIR!!! The game is ruined for you now!
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
abhi

Post by abhi »

so I take it, when we see the title change to Beta testing, we are even closer ?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

abhi wrote:so I take it, when we see the title change to Beta testing, we are even closer ?
That's the last step before release, yeah.
Stratoslava
Favorite Game: Perhaps Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)
Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Post by Stratoslava »

slowbeef wrote:For the record, our count of stuff to do is down to about 40. So hopefully, we can knock that down even further in the coming weeks.

Way to go, guys! 8)
Titties & Beers!