Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Re: Current Project Status (1/14/09): Alpha Testing

Post by Jack »

that's gorgeous, hyperblue! My PSP would welcome a couple of Policenauts wallpapers, so that I can prepare it for transformation. (from "PlayStation Portable to "Policenauts Simulator Peripheral)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Jack wrote:(from "PlayStation Portable to "Policenauts Simulator Peripheral)
Haha! That's gold, Jack! Gold!
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

hyperblue wrote: I am using a modified version of the wallpaper on Policenauts.net. But, because of how the PSP menu is laid out, the image has to be flipped. It would be great to get a hold of the original Photoshop file so that I could properly flip the image but keep the logo intact. Who could I e-mail to get this? The retouching I did is a little messy.
Great work man.

Just PM him: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=109
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yes, very nice contribution, hyperblue. :) I was just about to PM you to tell you to contact Omega.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Of coarse, as we near the Beta Testing stage, my psp has just been stolen. I don't know which I'm more pissed about, the fact that I'll have to shell out another 250 for a psp-fat, or that I lost who knows how many hours of gameplay that I'll have to restart.
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

keep it up! I'm doing very bad, but I hope you guys are doing very good. Again, this is one of the coolest things I'm looking forward to.

Slowbeef, I understand how you feel with the game after the constant programming/editing stuff. You become like a researcher in the Amazon. You are only able to pick out the scientific things and it's hard to see beauty in anything anymore. DON'T GIVE UP.

everybody's tireless work will bring beauty back to the englishh Policenaut's-less gaming world.

I got my copy off of ebay from the same seller, Japan-trust. the game took a while to get here, but it's in excellent condition with everything included. but I think they are out of the game now. :(
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I know this is kinda the wrong board for this, but how long did it take to hack the MSX version of Snatcher?
(I didn't want to have to start a new thread)
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

JimboKudo wrote:I know this is kinda the wrong board for this, but how long did it take to hack the MSX version of Snatcher?
Dumping the text took me little active time, translating the script took Takamichi a few months although I don't know about actual hours and know he wasn't working on it full time either.

And hacking the actual game took Daniel about a year of constant work, reprogramming the game and modifying graphics, and he had previous experience, knew the hardware and was an active programmer on the platform.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I was curous about how accurate my memory was regarding that translation, and here are the facts:

03/09/2001 I started work dumping the MSX version
09/10/2001 I posted the dump at Junker HQ
13/01/2001 Takamichi posted his traslation of the dump
01/02/2002 Takamichi took down the translation site
06/02/2002 Re-hosted his translation site at Junker HQ
15/02/2002 I find Daniel's site and learn about the hacking project
22/12/2003 Daniel released the current versions: Portuguese v.0.9.9 and in English 0.6.0
24/03/2004 Met Kojima http://junkerhq.net/Japan/
25/03/2004 Met Takamichi during the trip to Tokyo http://junkerhq.net/tmp/Takamichi.jpg

So it took roughly 2 years
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

JimboKudo wrote:I know this is kinda the wrong board for this, but how long did it take to hack the MSX version of Snatcher?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the impression that the MSX is relatively easy to hack... Why do you ask? Just comparing the work on Policenauts, or trying to estimate the work that will go to the other versions of the game?
jamesb2147
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (MSX2, PSX, SCD)
Policenauts (PSX)
MGS/2/3/4
Lunar Knights
ZoE
PSN: jamesb2147

Post by jamesb2147 »

akor1108 wrote:I got my copy off of ebay from the same seller, Japan-trust. the game took a while to get here, but it's in excellent condition with everything included. but I think they are out of the game now.
:-k

i'll just leave these here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/PS-POLICENAUTS-KONA ... .m20.l1116
item # 350160000719
:-"
hyperblue

Post by hyperblue »

Hi Guys,

Okay, so the menu is done, and thanks for the info for Omega. Hopefully he writes back so i can swap out the BG imange ;)

This is a static preview:
Picture 2.png
But, I know you'd like a video, so I just uploaded one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p8xK4ehkqs

I couldn't get a very good video quality out of my camera, but all sound was outputted by the PSP to the computer's soundcard, so the audio is clean. I've edited the video down as this is just a demo to show the boot screen and play process on the PSP. The initial boot time has not been edited down, only the long intro.

Oh, and yes, the PSP icon is now animated!
Kirbysuperstar
Favorite Game: Sonic 2
PSN: Kirbysuperstar
Xbox Live: Kirbysuperstar2

Post by Kirbysuperstar »

Camera? You should just use RemoteJoyLite.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

The Spoony Hou wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the impression that the MSX is relatively easy to hack... Why do you ask? Just comparing the work on Policenauts, or trying to estimate the work that will go to the other versions of the game?
Daniel said it was HARDCORE to hack. Oasis tried and anyway Oasis hacks sucked because they could not fit all the text in the games, so they used to cut lots of text, like in SD Snatcher.
Daniel used to comment the translation work in his page, dont know if its all there.
akor1108
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE

Post by akor1108 »

um... how do you get the MSX Snatcher translation stuff to work. where can I get it? I'm confused right now. please help. I have the emulator.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

akor, I backed up my data today, so even if this laptop explodes, we're still in good shape.

Also, the list is at about ~25 things to do until beta.
akor1108

Post by akor1108 »

WHOA! Thanks for doing that Slowbeef. I believe I just contributed to the good of mankind (mainly those interested in the Policenaut's project) by constantly reminding you's all to backs that shiz up. Thankyou for making me feel special. I am so glad you did it. Seriously, I can't tell you how much it sucks to lose all the hard work done just because you didn't have a copy.

Good example, Alexander the Great's Library. You know how sucky it must have felt to all the people who spent their time collecting manuscripts, and rolls of story-filled, historical paper for that library? just to be burned down. they should have thought to save it on a flashdrive or something.

knowledge is dear to me, don't lose it!

Thanks again for the update, and keep it up!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

slowbeef wrote:akor, I backed up my data today, so even if this laptop explodes, we're still in good shape.
Hmm... maybe I should start doing that too.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

akor1108 wrote:um... how do you get the MSX Snatcher translation stuff to work. where can I get it? I'm confused right now. please help. I have the emulator.
msx snatcher translation here:
http://www.caetano.eng.br/snatcher/
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Marc wrote:Hmm... maybe I should start doing that too.
Ah shit. You mean to say you hadn't all ready? :o
Do it! Do it now! :D
akor1108

Post by akor1108 »

I got the "english" translation patch rar download. but I don't see the "easy installer" part mentioned in the readme. I just got the disk parts 0 through 4. can you's helps me?

thanks ye.

GO STEELERS!!!! and... go POLICENAUTS!!!
David K

Post by David K »

Hi guys. I've been lurking the forums for a long while, and since the translation patch is nearing completion, I felt that it would be appropriate to make an account. I would like to give a huge thanks to everyone involved in this project. The hard work and dedication that you guys have shown is really amazing.

I also have a question. When switching from disc 1 to disc 2, does the game allow you to save? The reason I ask this is that I plan on using my Breaker Pro boot disc on my PS2 to play the translated Policenauts. However, since this is a two disc game there could be some issues with using Breaker Pro. If the game allows you to save, then I could just save the game and then reset the system, and use breaker to boot disc 2. But if you have to change discs there and then, I'm doubtful that I could play it via this method.
hyperblue

Post by hyperblue »

Policenauts on PSP: The Guide

Hi Everyone,

The art and convert guide is complete, please continue reading if you would like to play Policenauts on your "unlocked" PSP. As said before, I'm putting this together in anticipation of the patch release.

[ Note: This guide will not cover the PSP unlocking process. A very well thought out and regularly updated guide for that is located here: http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f133/th ... d-t227349/ ]

Software Requirements (Note: You must have Windows. Mac users can use Virtual PC (PPC) or a trial of VMWare Fusion (Intel) I'm on a Mac and Fusion works great):

1.) Download the Tools: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CEFXGVFZ
2.) Download the Art: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XO7ZX60J

Hardware Requirements:
A.) PSP-1000 / PSP-2000 (unlocked)
B.) 2GB or larger Memorystick Pro Duo
C.) PSP/PS3 USB Transfer Cable (USB 2.0 A/Mini-B Cable) If you have a PS3, it came in the box.

Guide:
1.) Because the upcoming patch will require you to rip your game disc to an ISO image on your hard disk and run some sort of patcher program, this part of the guide will be skipped. If you want to practice ripping, you can download the freeware ISOBuster and save your disc as a .BIN file with a reference .CUE file htp://www.isobuster.com. This is the format the PSP conversion program accepts.
2.) Extract the Tools.zip file and Art.zip files to your Desktop
3.) If you are not prompted right away to work in "Theme" mode, open the Program PSX2PSP and click the "Options" button. Hit the "Themes" tab and check "Use Theme Mode". Save and close the program.
Picture_1.png
4.) Open the Program PSX2PSP again and click the "Options" button". Hit the "Common" tab and change the dropdown menu for "Icon0" to "BLANK" as shown (The menu selection should simply look like a blank white area). Match the other options as shown and save.
Picture_3.png
5.) Now, click the "Convert Menu" button. You will load your disc images for disc 1 and disc 2 of Policenauts here.
A.) To load the fist disc image, click the "..." button next to "ISO/PBP File 1 - No file selected". Browse for the first disc image and click "Open"
Picture_4.png
B.) To load the second disc image, click the box that has the name of your disc image. In this example; "1: CD1.bin (714MB)". It becomes a drop-down menu. Select "ISO/PBP File 2 - No file selected" and click the "..." button to browse for the second disc image and click "Open".
Picture_5.png
Picture_5.png (85.81 KiB) Viewed 7335 times
6.) Select a folder to save your converted PSP game file (PBP) in.
7.) Hide the Convert Menu, by clicking on the "Convert Menu" button.
8.) Add artwork: Click the "Customize PBP" button and add the assets from the "Policenauts_Menu" folder as shown. [ Note: There is an alternate static icon and animated icon inside as well. If you want to use the alternate static icon, go back to step 4. and change "Icon0" to "Default - 80x80" ]
Picture_14.png
Picture_14.png (143.33 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
[Note: The animated icon lives underneath the static icon, so it cannot be previewed on the PC. It only shows on the PSP. ]
9.) Finish the Project: Click the "Customize PBP" button to close the menu and re-open the "Convert Menu". Now click the "Convert Button and wait.
Picture_16.png
Picture_16.png (137.9 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
10.) A new folder should have been created inside your selected output folder from step 6. It's labeled with the game code for Policenauts. You need to transfer this folder to your PSP Memory Stick. Plug in your USB cable to from the PSP to the PC and place the PSP in USB mode from the PSP's XMB menu [Settings -> USB Connection].
11.) Navigate to the "PSP/GAME" folder on the root of your memory stick. If the GAME folder does not exist under the PSP folder, create it. Drag and drop your newly converted game folder from step 6. to the the "GAME" folder.
12.) That's all folks! http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T7ZV67BW
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

David K: Yes, there is a save point right at the end of Disc 1 and you can use it to "springboard" onto Disc 2 if you can't switch discs with the power on for whatever reason.

hyperblue: Thanks a lot for that PSP guide. Would you mind if I reposted that elsewhere (like on the SA boards) when the patch is released or if we use that in some big "How to Play Policenauts in English" FAQ? We would, of course, totally credit you.

Also, down to ~24 bugs. I'm gonna warn you, that number will raise and lower - it was actually up to 27 earlier today - as we found more. Thankfully nothing too critical just yet.

(Also, by the by, we do keep semi-regular backups of our stuff. A data loss might set us back, but it wouldn't be too catastrophic to anything but what remains of my sanity.)
hyperblue

Post by hyperblue »

Kirbysuperstar wrote:Camera? You should just use RemoteJoyLite.
Thanks, Kirbysuperstar. i used your tip for the finished video. :)