Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: Current Project Status (4/10/09): 7 Bugs Till Beta

Post by slowbeef »

Solfieri wrote:Is it on the plans?
I can personally say I currently have no plan insofar as translating the bonus disc on Policenauts Private Collection.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Solfieri wrote:So, lemme ask you something, comrade slowbeef. What will be of Policenauts: Private Collection? Is it on the plans? Sorry if the question already was answered, but still I need to ask.
It won't be translated the same way as the regular game. The components will be posted on the website. They're actually already translated, we're just waiting till later to upload them.
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

As far as the end credits go could you make it play a video... just record the credits... and yeah
NANTO KAWAI!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I severely doubt that that's a possibility.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Solfieri
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 4
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid

Post by Solfieri »

So there will be a private collection \o/
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

midori_fox wrote:As far as the end credits go could you make it play a video... just record the credits... and yeah
New video's the one thing I can't do because of the codec, actually ... or I should say, I'd prefer a solution that wouldn't be months of research and development for one bug.

Recreating the credits as their own new form of animation in general isn't really off the table at this point.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Random question: since you're testing this stuff on a real Playstation as well, how many CD-Rs have you burned through so far approximately?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Crowley wrote:Random question: since you're testing this stuff on a real Playstation as well, how many CD-Rs have you burned through so far approximately?
Me, maybe 4 or 5.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Six to go now.
porcoilclero
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: the first two metal gear (msx not nes ones), the solids(the principal ones, the substance ones, but no psp one), and some versions of snatcher
PSN: sakkodj

Re: Current Project Status (4/10/09): 6 Bugs Till Beta

Post by porcoilclero »

hi guys, do you have any plans to translate it for other languages than english?? i may help you doing it for italian
akakak4747
Favorite Game: Snatcher and soon to be translated Policenauts

Post by akakak4747 »

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG 6 BUGS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

We should be down to 5 tomorrow.
05K4R
Favorite Game: Difficult to say...
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Metal Gears
PSN: sicko23

Post by 05K4R »

Hi,

I've been reading and visiting these forums for awhile, but it's only now that I decided to register. I just wanted to thank all of the people involved in the translation for all the hard work and the illusion you're putting into the project, it's plain to see that you're working on it with lots of care and dedication and I'm sure it will definitely show in the results (i.e., it's gonna be awesome!). I'd also like to thank you for your continued contributions to the forums, which allowed us to get an insight on what it is to be working on this, the problems you usually run into, how you rack your brains to solve them :mrgreen: and so on. It's a really interesting read and you explain it in a way that's really understandable even for people like me who are not that familiar with the process.

And last, someone up there suggested the possibility of you working on further translations of the game. I'm guessing that's not in your plans right now (and probably will never be... can't blame you! You haven't finished the English version yet and it'd be another huge project and require a lot of work ;) ), but if you ever decide to do so I'd like to offer my help (I'm a native Spaniard with a Uni degree in English to Spanish translation).

Anyway, thanks a bunch again and keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to see it finished!

Cheers :)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Thanks for your interest and comments Oscar, currently we are not considering other languages since they need a lot of work, and not just the translation of the material itself. Any other such release would need extra hacking and specific tweaking, which of course could be done using our current tools modified for the specific target language and such. But the tools would require specific new code and hacking because of different sizes on the text, new characters, and new graphics.

I will continue to keep Junker HQ, this forums and possibly help out in any such process (although with very limited time to so actively as a programmer), but will keep on and serve to link any such sub-project that might arise if the right team is assembled.

That doesn't mean that we are currently looking for new people to do such work, I believe that such thing can only be decided after we release the English version. And even then, until someone with the time and skills takes on the specific "port". I must say that I am speaking for myself and only base don what I believe and previous discussions, this is not an "official statement" on the subject.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Stratoslava
Favorite Game: Perhaps Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)
Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Post by Stratoslava »

Artemio, I believe that explaining how the code works and/or assisting a experienced translation team would make translations in foreign languages quite possible.
It's obvious that you guys have been acomplishing by the years a way to translate this beast... then, when the patch is finally ready, and if you're willing to, you could hand the tools over to a capable team... capable enough to make themselves the necesary tweaks on them... you've done a lot already haha.

Thanks all of you again!
Titties & Beers!
shotgummer
Favorite Game: snatcher, ocarina of time, threads of fate
Kojima games owned: metal gear
metal gear solid
metal gear solid 2
metal gear solid 2 substance
metal gear solid 3
metal gear solid 3 subsistence
boktai
zone of the enders

Post by shotgummer »

Hi! You've probably heard this before a thousand times, but I've been watching this forum for years now and I've registered today just to say:

SLOWBEEF, STOP POINTING THAT GUN IN MY FACE!

it scares the crap out of me each time....

oh, and great work on the patch. You have my gratitude.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Stratoslava, of course we'd do something like that. As I said above I'd be part of the team helping out. But again, this is no time to discuss it. When we finish we'll see what we'll do about it.

The hard part is getting the team, not helping that team out.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Five bugs can only mean one thing...

Or well since it's till beta, I guess it's more the penultimate countdown, but whatever! :)
steveG

Post by steveG »

6 bugs??! Go, guys, go! Psyched to finally see this thing go live. Need beta testers? :D
Nexus_6

Post by Nexus_6 »

*Crosses fingers for a Summer beta release*
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Down to Five, thanks to Marc.
Marc
General

Re: Current Project Status (4/14/09): 5 Bugs Till Beta

Post by Marc »

I stickied the bug list to the OP.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I haven't tested it slowbeef, but:

3. Jonathan Ingram telop.
4. Ed Brown telop.

Should be working on my last build, since I modified the code to handle those a couple of weeks ago.

#2 is implemented, it just has a bug.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Guys thanks a lot for this project. I am studying electronics engineering and i have programming ass my hobby. I am extremely interested on how you achieve all this guys.If you could share some info that would be treasure to me guys. I would be grateful... My guess is that you are using some kinda hex editor and so you search the whole rom for chars and you translate them.. But this seems too simple. And it doesn't justify all the bugs you've been coming across up till now. If you could shed some light here it would help me a lot to understand what's ebhind this.. Thanks you very much!!!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

It is just as you describe but with more structure. First you need to identify how the data is stored, for instance, how is the Japanese text encoded within the game. Usually that implies, as in this case, figuring out the character table.

Then you need to figure out how that is processed and used within the game, code programs to manipulate it as you suppose it should work, and replacing it. that implies manipulating data chunks, pointers, encoding and decoding of data, etc. As you can see lots of trial and error and assumptions.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]