Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by seraphssavior »

There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me
Get him up against the wall!
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

The thing you guys gotta understand is that akor1108 and MetalGearAlex were created as genetic experiments in the Les Fanboi Terribles project, to create the ultimate Hideo Kojima fan. And when MetalGearAlexus shows up. Phew that's gonna be a party.
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

How about that poetry.. that stuff is deranged perhaps...
OMG akor1108's account is being ran from inside Arsenal Gear!
Damn you <B>Patriots</B>! Hideo must be in on this!
NANTO KAWAI!
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

midori_fox wrote:How about that poetry.. that stuff is deranged perhaps...
Damn you <B><B>Patriots</B></B>! Hideo must be in on this!
In my best David "snake" Hayter impression :

"ARSENAL GEAR?!"..."GW?!"..."<B>Patriots</B>?!"...

Love the "Les Fanboi Terribles", Beef!

I'm still hope'n for a FULL release of the patch just in time for my Bday! :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Hey guys, I found a GPU plugin which seems to play the credits just fine (I think. Is there supposed to be anything after the Policenauts logo against black?):

http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.p ... t0_981.zip (right click save-as)

One thing I noticed in windowed mode is that the scroll uses a resolution change. Maybe the other GPUs can't handle it? This plugin seems pretty nice though, might want to stick with it after further testing.

Update: I just played from the start of Act 7 all the way through the post credits flawlessly using this plugin. It's a little slow when reading from the original CDs, but perfect from ISOs. Good stuff! :)
Last edited by Snatcher42 on Sun May 03, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randam Hajile
Favorite Game: Super Metroid
Kojima games owned: -Policenauts
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Metal Gear Solid I
-Metal Gear Solid II - Substance
-Metal Gear Solid III - Subsistence
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
-Zone of Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by Randam Hajile »

midori_fox wrote:How about that poetry.. that stuff is deranged perhaps...
Damn you <B>Patriots</B>! Hideo must be in on this!
LOL good one!
Kirbysuperstar
Favorite Game: Sonic 2
PSN: Kirbysuperstar
Xbox Live: Kirbysuperstar2

Post by Kirbysuperstar »

slowbeef wrote:The thing you guys gotta understand is that akor1108 and MetalGearAlex were created as genetic experiments in the Les Fanboi Terribles project, to create the ultimate Hideo Kojima fan. And when MetalGearAlexus shows up. Phew that's gonna be a party.
Good God.
jamesb2147
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (MSX2, PSX, SCD)
Policenauts (PSX)
MGS/2/3/4
Lunar Knights
ZoE
PSN: jamesb2147

Post by jamesb2147 »

what were the settings you used for that? here's what happened on mine:
1) has to be fullscreen, otherwise does some weird horizontal splicing/artifacting type deal which is no fun
2) even when i did it fullscreen it st-st-stutters about-t-t every o-o-other word to the point i'm running less than half speed
3) forced switch to "windows basic" theme or w/e :/

worth noting, i am running the 64bit win7 build 7100 now and a 9500gt (though i don't think the videocard will be a problem)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Snatcher42 wrote:Hey guys, I found a GPU plugin which seems to play the credits just fine (I think. Is there supposed to be anything after the Policenauts logo against black?):

http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.p ... t0_981.zip (right click save-as)

One thing I noticed in windowed mode is that the scroll uses a resolution change. Maybe the other GPUs can't handle it? This plugin seems pretty nice though, might want to stick with it after further testing.

Update: I just played from the start of Act 7 all the way through the post credits flawlessly using this plugin. It's a little slow when reading from the original CDs, but perfect from ISOs. Good stuff! :)
A resolution change would actually make perfect sense against what I'm seeing in VRAM - ... I kinda remember reading about some kind of problem with that...

I'll try this plugin out...

...Also, I wonder if... I wonder if we could remove that... the credits really should be at the same resolution as the rest of the game...

Very cool find. Thanks a million, Snatcher42.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Ok, I can confirm that the credits work using that plugin.

Is this is? Is everything good?

Also, has anyone figured out which plug-ins fix the syncing issues during the FMV's? That's like the one thing that still doesn't work right, but other than that, everything's working fine.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Can we get some more technical information please? A disassembly on where the game changes resolution?

Over half of the new posts are pretty useless other than the contributions of Snatcher42 and slowbeef.

Is this the first occurance of tailoring to emulators rather than real hardware?
jamesb2147
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (MSX2, PSX, SCD)
Policenauts (PSX)
MGS/2/3/4
Lunar Knights
ZoE
PSN: jamesb2147

Post by jamesb2147 »

load the PEOpS software render (not opengl, not directx) gpu plugin and configure it to show FPS on startup. Load up a save near the end and as it switches to the credits, behold! the text gets smaller. clearest indication i've seen but i'm not snatcher42

ps - if u want to avoid seeing the end or w/e, F4 turns off frame limiting and you'll probably want to be sure it's drawing the whole screen at at least 640x480 so you can see a difference :p
Last edited by jamesb2147 on Sun May 03, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

As far as movie synching, I'm finding ePSXe 1.7 with P.E.Op.S. 1.18 Soft Plugin and pSX 1.12 (not 1.13) seemed to give me the best results. I actually seemed to get good results out of other BIOS'es besides SCPH1001.BIN, though I typically test against SCPH1000 (which I've very recently heard isn't a good BIOS). Try SCPH7502.BIN and see if you get better results.

My problem with the E{i} GPU Plugin is that it didn't run windowed for me, but the resolution change is pretty telling I thought. The pSX guys don't seem to think that'd be a problem for the emulator, but advised me to try testing some other BIOSes and get back to them, so who knows - there might be a fix coming.

It's looking ePSXe 1.7 is the emulator of choice for Policenauts. So I only played with it a little, but I'd like to get an optimal setting configuration for it. Honestly, I'd really have liked to get P.E.Op.S. going but we'll see what we can do.

Just an FYI, we're not exactly hung up by this. It has to get done and it's my biggest issue but in the meantime Artemio is working on the patching process and Marc is doing more playtesting/script tweaking so we're still moving even though this is a big thing.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Piratero wrote:Can we get some more technical information please? A disassembly on where the game changes resolution?
If you'd like some insight, I posted about it at RHDN.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 527.0.html
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Thank you, as always, for keeping us so up-to-date. Your dedication is very much appreciated, and, though I prefer pSX, I'll definitely be switching to ePSXe for Policenauts. (It will be nice to have the Mouse support, as well.) Hopefully, you and the team aren't getting too stressed over this issue.

It's good to hear all the work that's going into the game at the moment - Every update makes us all feel that much more hopeful. This is a good time to be a Kojima fan, indeed. :D
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

slowbeef wrote:
Piratero wrote:Can we get some more technical information please? A disassembly on where the game changes resolution?
If you'd like some insight, I posted about it at RHDN.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 527.0.html
Thank you.

Will you guys release all the information based the FS used in Policenauts? Maybe I can help get the translation for the Sega Saturn considering that I have a good background on the hardware.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:Your dedication is very much appreciated, and, though I prefer pSX, I'll definitely be switching to ePSXe for Policenauts.
Honestly, it just depends on what kind of experience you want with it. Like it's really the *end* of the game. For me what I ended up having to do is:

- Play the game in pSX
- Save at the end
- Convert my memory card with MemoryCardRex
- Switch to ePSXe and watch the end again in ePSXe

Or, just playthrough in ePSXe and suffer the fact that the credits look weird.

Obviously, it's not optimal but what's so frustrating about this issue is that the entire rest of the game works in both emulators. It really is just this. So we're doing what we can to either find a recommended configuration. My only issue so far with the E}i{ GPU plugin that Snatcher42 posted is right now I'm having trouble getting it to run windowed (seems to work fullscreen) and a couple other things, but I have to try configuring.

Hey Snatcher42, what was your config for that? Default out of the box?
Snatcher42
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

slowbeef wrote:Hey Snatcher42, what was your config for that? Default out of the box?
I switched to VMEM blit mode, but other than that yeah mostly default. Fiddled with a few other options, but didn't see much difference. I was able to run in a 320x240 window (which changed to 640x480 for the credits), but no other sizes. Though I prefer fullscreen anyway, which looked perfect.

About video sync, I didn't notice any difference between E}i{ or P.E.Op.S. 1.18 on a number of bios. The video always seems about half a second ahead of the audio. Are we sure that isn't just how it was encoded for Playstation? Could someone check on original hardware?

Aside from that, I may just switch to E}i{ as my Policenauts plugin of choice, since it seems to run the game flawlessly from start to finish in fullscreen mode.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

You know what gets me about E}I{ fullscreen? I have a widescreen monitor and I can't get it to keep the aspect ratio. :/
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

slowbeef wrote:You know what gets me about E}I{ fullscreen? I have a widescreen monitor and I can't get it to keep the aspect ratio. :/
So do I, but just went into the nvidia control panel and chose flat panel scaling with fixed aspect ratio, like I do for all 640x480 programs (dunno how you set it with ATI, but you should be able to). :)

Btw, I just tried pSX 1.12 and didn't see much/any difference in video sync. Again, I'm starting to think that's just how they are? Maybe they were animating with an English dub in mind? Dunno.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Just a little off topic, but who here would pay what for the soundtrack of Lethal Weapon on vinyl?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Snatcher42 wrote:Btw, I just tried pSX 1.12 and didn't see much/any difference in video sync. Again, I'm starting to think that's just how they are? Maybe they were animating with an English dub in mind? Dunno.
I think it might be a threading issue. To be honest, it's kinda inconsistent. Sometimes I play the game and it looks fine and sometimes you get that video drift. But to be honest, I fast forward through the cutscenes now so that throws off the timing somewhat. If there is a definite plugin/configuration combo I can find I'll let you know. But I swear when I did a test today in pSX 1.12 it was synced okay.
Snatcher42

Post by Snatcher42 »

slowbeef wrote:Try SCPH7502.BIN and see if you get better results.
Btw, isn't that a European bios? It shows up as PAL on my system, but strangely enough the game still plays fine. No change in video sync though.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Piratero wrote:Will you guys release all the information based the FS used in Policenauts? Maybe I can help get the translation for the Sega Saturn considering that I have a good background on the hardware.
Being the case that you are interested, could you please wait until we release this and then I we'll figure out how we can work this out. In several cases I've checked how difficult it would be to apply the same changes to the Saturn version and I've found very small differences, so I believe the only big hurdle will be the asm changes.

BTW... Do I know you from somewhere else?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

So, the credits run at 640x480 and the rest of the game runs at 320x240 all the time? Oh, that sounds pretty nice for running pSX...
shidoni wrote:Just a little off topic, but who here would pay what for the soundtrack of Lethal Weapon on vinyl?
You should make another topic.