Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Re: Current Status (4/26/09): 1 Bug Till Beta

Post by shidoni »

radical7dreamer wrote:I can't waiiiiit for the patch. Do let me spice things up by offering all of the artworks on the policenauts pilot disc for psx, direct rips :) enjoy guys :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AH10XGSD
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GRRGFJQ0
Gee, thanks be to you! Some beautiful stuff on there... Images not even in the Visual Data Book. I only think in vain how sad the low resolution is... Too bad it can't be helped.
On another note... I know this has been mentioned before, and subsequently denied, but I really wonder if Kojima has contacted you guys. I mean, he contacted Mega64 through their forums, apparently.

Edit: Looking through these... I'm sure the hardcores already know this, but for those who don't, one of the newspaper clippings on Jonathan's wall is from the Russian tabloid newspaper, "Komsomolskaya Pravda (Комсомо́льская пра́вда)", judging from the logo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komsomolskaya_Pravda ). Llar-a-Hlar!
Also, I'd forgotten about that cut scene concerning a card game that never came to light. Anyone know anything about it?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:On another note... I know this has been mentioned before, and subsequently denied, but I really wonder if Kojima has contacted you guys. I mean, he contacted Mega64 through their forums, apparently.
No one from Konami has contacted us.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Marc wrote:
shidoni wrote:On another note... I know this has been mentioned before, and subsequently denied, but I really wonder if Kojima has contacted you guys. I mean, he contacted Mega64 through their forums, apparently.
Ah, thank you... Just wondering. ^^;
WARP10CK
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid for psx
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1,2 AND 3 soon to own 4
Policenauts (hoping to play it with english text soon)
PSN: VAIOMANIAC

Post by WARP10CK »

Oki don't know if you heard about Square pulling the plug of a fan release of Chrono Trigger and they stopped it when it was 98 % done.
Are you worried this is gonna happen to this project as well ??

Here is the link to the article about it http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/12/squar ... -projects/
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

WARP10CK wrote:Oki don't know if you heard about Square pulling the plug of a fan release of Chrono Trigger and they stopped it when it was 98 % done.
Are you worried this is gonna happen to this project as well ??

Here is the link to the article about it http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/12/squar ... -projects/
Yeah, we heard about that. Nothing we can do in that regard. What happens happens.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

shidoni wrote:
radical7dreamer wrote:I can't waiiiiit for the patch. Do let me spice things up by offering all of the artworks on the policenauts pilot disc for psx, direct rips :) enjoy guys :)

Gee, thanks be to you! Some beautiful stuff on there... Images not even in the Visual Data Book. I only think in vain how sad the low resolution is... Too bad it can't be helped.
On another note... I know this has been mentioned before, and subsequently denied, but I really wonder if Kojima has contacted you guys. I mean, he contacted Mega64 through their forums, apparently.

Edit: Looking through these... I'm sure the hardcores already know this, but for those who don't, one of the newspaper clippings on Jonathan's wall is from the Russian tabloid newspaper, "Komsomolskaya Pravda (Комсомо́льская пра́вда)", judging from the logo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komsomolskaya_Pravda ). Llar-a-Hlar!
Also, I'd forgotten about that cut scene concerning a card game that never came to light. Anyone know anything about it?
What Hideo Kojima contacted them through the forums? About what?
Baker 5.56
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of liberty
Kojima games owned: Policenauts Snatcher [MGS 1, 2, 4]
PSN: V2_Tarma

Post by Baker 5.56 »

Piratero -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZFA4me4iw

to make this infmaous skit guest starring some famous game creators. :)
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Baker 5.56 wrote:Piratero -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZFA4me4iw

to make this infmaous skit guest starring some famous game creators. :)
That was pretty cool. Although his appearance was very short it seems like.
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

How did you rip these? Were they originally in BMP format?

Thanks! I appreciate it!
Souther
PSN: Cyclonus

Post by Souther »

Marc wrote:
I'm 100% sure this is going to change once the patch gets released and word gets out through out the internet...

I'd say its inevitable. The question is.....will it be positive or negative...
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

Souther wrote:
Marc wrote:
I'm 100% sure this is going to change once the patch gets released and word gets out through out the internet...

I'd say its inevitable. The question is.....will it be positive or negative...
I just hope sincerely that they do not fizzle the doozle that is the fan translation.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

I don't understand why the translation would get into trouble like the CT thing did. Policenauts never even came out here, can Konami USA really do anything if they wanted?

If they ever bugged the translation team, they should just point out that no one ever sued Konami over the Metal Gear cover looking exactly like Terminator.
BIG BOSS
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

Ghaleon wrote:I don't understand why the translation would get into trouble like the CT thing did. Policenauts never even came out here, can Konami USA really do anything if they wanted?

If they ever bugged the translation team, they should just point out that no one ever sued Konami over the Metal Gear cover looking exactly like Terminator.
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Post by Andrigaar »

Aww, you guys reminded me that the d-bags at SE's legal department C&D's Crono Resurrection :(

It wasn't even a full game, just 9 or so sequences from the Crono Trigger in awesome (for the time) looking 3D. And what've they done with their precious IP since? Re-released CT on the DS.

I must admit I prefer Capcom's stance on their IP where they don't really care as long as you don't make a single penny off of it. Or it's how it used to be anyway.
:D
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

(No Subject)

Post by JonnyTanna »

I hope they ignored the instructions on the cease & desist order to destroy all work/copies.

Square Enix can eat a fat one...

Hope Mr Kojima doesn't allow that to happen to this project right here...
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Ghaleon wrote:I don't understand why the translation would get into trouble like the CT thing did. Policenauts never even came out here, can Konami USA really do anything if they wanted?
Well, I don't know what the Japanese law says, but international treaties protect an artist's right to see his work "displayed" the way he wants (and that includes the translation).

I don't know who owns Policenauts rights (Kojima ? Konami ?), but they could legally shut down the translation project.

However :
- the translation team didn't earn any money by any means, hasn't allowed illegal rips of the game
- Konami doesn't intend to publish Policenauts in the Western world, so I don't see why they would sue the translation team.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Square Enix generally tries to protect its projects like this. I would understand had they shut down the CT:CE project closer to its beginnings, but it's inexcusible (outside of legality anyway) that they would do something like this. I'm not much on Rom Hacks and fan sequels, and I don't think that many people are. Would they have lost any sort of monetary gain in the long run? Probably not.

Just out of curiosity, are there any psx emulators for the DS? Policenauts, even more so than snatcher, would be great for the touch screen format.
Aardvark Soup

Post by Aardvark Soup »

According to Wikipedia, the only case where the creators of a fan translation were threathened with legal action was with RPG Maker 95, a series its creators were planning to release in the west. None of the makers of the many other fan translations had any trouble with the company whose game they were translating, so I doubt that will happen with this translation.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well, considering that Ryan Payton and Itoh knew about this...it's really unlikely to me that Kojima himself (and the other original members of Koji Pro; Shinkawa, Kazuki Muraoka and Yoshikazu Matsuhana as well) do not now know about this. I doubt the likes of Payton and Itoh would have kept this to themselves. I think Koji Pro are keeping quiet about it because they do not want to particularly endorse fan translations (remember; they are a business) since they are only a sub section within Konami. The key members of Koji Pro (from the tiny team of about around just over ten at the time, it was tiny) are keeping their distance, but I do wonder how Kojima himself does feel about this, since he supposedly has a real personal attachment to Policenauts that he doesn't with his other games...
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Henry Spencer wrote:...since he supposedly has a real personal attachment to Policenauts that he doesn't with his other games...
I wonder why that is? Perhaps it's just one of those "it's my baby" sort of creator matters...
StreetTrash

Post by StreetTrash »

I couldn't see Kojima himself having a huge problem with this. I mean, he himself borrowed alot from other peoples work in film and animation. They even altered the original scene from Plato's Cavern featured in the PC-Engine version of Snatcher into Konami characters for the Sega CD release to avoid any legal problems in the US. Of course, never say never, but I just don't think there's much to worry about.
Attachments
snatpce-1.png
snatpce-1.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 6742 times
akor1108
Favorite Game: MGS series, Resident Evil series, Tony Hawk,
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 4, Snatcher, SD Snatcher, MSX Snatcher, Penguin Adventure, ZOE
PSN: MetalGearAlex

Post by akor1108 »

This site is still as good as ever. And nah... I don't have time to start my own poetic version of the patch where every other line rhymes in iambic pentameter. I got bigger fish to fry now. mmm...tasty!

Okay, so... fizzling the doozle seems to be popular among the sneebs of darclab. This is bad... At least this site knows better and would never do such a thing. Good on you guys!

My support is very useless, but I... love you guys. I do. I really enjoy all the technical talk.
Perhaps... I should put up a poem...

Nope. changed my mind. probably a good thing too. You will not trick me!
supapowadood

Post by supapowadood »

Sup guys.

This is a little off-topic but I saw there was no snatcher soundtrack ever released (there are some w/ like 12 tracks but not every song). I made a soundtrack for Lunar: Eternal Blue (if you want I can link to it here but i wont for now) on Sega CD, the WHOLE game, so I'll make one for Snatcher to commemorate the Policenauts release. I just dont wanna duplicate someones work if there already is one. Anyone know?
elijahmodnar2k2
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid II, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (lawlz).

Post by elijahmodnar2k2 »

supapowadood wrote:Sup guys.

This is a little off-topic but I saw there was no snatcher soundtrack ever released (there are some w/ like 12 tracks but not every song). I made a soundtrack for Lunar: Eternal Blue (if you want I can link to it here but i wont for now) on Sega CD, the WHOLE game, so I'll make one for Snatcher to commemorate the Policenauts release. I just dont wanna duplicate someones work if there already is one. Anyone know?
Yep: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1672&p=30760#p30760

PS - I am beyond excited for this translation. I bought the Saturn collector's edition years ago for shits and giggles and now I actually will be able to enjoy this hidden gem. Thank you guys!
snatcher1996

Post by snatcher1996 »

By the way elijah, have you been able to find the two missing tracks of your superb Snatcher soundtrack?