[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Junker HQ • View topic - Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.

Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Postby best name ever » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks for the update IlDucci!
This looks amazing!
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Postby IlDucci » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:57 am

Anyone around here could help us with some Photoshop skills? We're going to do a scanlation of both PSX and Saturn manuals (PSX is complete thanks to Takamichi's translation, but it'll need a rewrite), and while I can use the Cloning tool kinda decently, there's stuff that might need a better reconstruction (The character's pictures, etc...)

We're also doing a PAL PSX cover, and probably Saturn covers.
IlDucci

Postby TechNoir » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 am

Dammit, gotta buy a Saturn, RIGHT NOW.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
TechNoir
Runner

Postby Marc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Marc
General

Postby TechNoir » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Yep.
TechNoir
Runner

Postby SnatcherMkII » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:38 pm

I still wonder if dubbing is possible. Snatcher had an English dubbed version for the SEGA CD and I recall that Konami was going to localize Policenauts on this exact system, but due to subtitle timing issues... Well, we all know what happened.
SnatcherMkII
Runner

Postby IlDucci » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm

IlDucci

Postby TechNoir » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Also, it's not easy for fans to find good AND low-price actors. And what about the recording equipment? The distance between the team members, if it's international?
TechNoir
Runner

Postby AwesomeBrand » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:36 am

I could voice act! I just... don't have the equipment to do so >.>
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Postby TechNoir » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 am

That's one of the main problems - GOOD equipment costs $$$. And every actor needs it, so - moar $$$.
TechNoir
Runner

Postby IlDucci » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 am

I never said I had intentions on doing an English dub. I just said that, technically (Meaning: Being able to extract and edit the audio files) it's possible.

But, as you said, it'd require this:
- Marc re-doing the script so it adapts to everyone's mouths and amount of time used in the Japanese version. Cos, if you don't remember, he kept his translation economical.
- Finding actors, casting them, directing them, editing their audios, reconstructing some tracks (The MOV files, as I said some time ago).

Etc, etc, etc.
IlDucci

Postby SaturnAR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:39 am

I haven't seriously digged in lips movements, but i think they might be changeable. Still, you would need to make a complete tool to extract, edit and reinsert new lips movements into game code.. and that could be really tough.
SaturnAR

Postby TechNoir » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Yep. So - subs only. We're fine, anyway.
TechNoir
Runner

Postby SnatcherMkII » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:13 pm

So... How's that project goin'?
SnatcherMkII
Runner

Postby IlDucci » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:15 pm

It slowed down a bit but it's not dead at all. Everyone's doing their parts with the little time they have, and preparing a couple of new surprises from the PSX patch.
IlDucci

Postby Marc » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Okay, so here's a question: how do you guys feel about the altering of lines? Obviously typos will be fixed, but what I mean is changing the translation of a handful of lines because in the time between the original project and this project, I've come up with better ways of saying them.

I'm hesitant to do this because I remember playing The Twin Snakes and feeling let down when coming across a line that was different from the original MGS. We all have our favorite lines in a work of writing, and changing them kind of feels like tampering. Plus, I would guess that most people who will play the Saturn patch will have already played the PlayStation patch and are familiar with the translation. That said, I do think that any changes will be for the better (I think the main problem with The Twin Snakes' changes is they were all universally regarded as being for the worse)... but subjectively speaking, some players may not like a particular change.

So what do you guys think? It would be nice to hear from as many of you as possible.
Marc
General

Postby GirianSeed573 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 am

I'll be fine with it as long as those changes are also included in the next version of the PlayStation patch to keep things consistent.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant

Postby best name ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:27 am

best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Postby Marc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Marc
General

Postby best name ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:27 pm

best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Postby TechNoir » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Fine by me.
TechNoir
Runner

Postby Stratoslava » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm totally fine with it!. As a matter of fact, if any doubts, We (final users) would find those lines refreshing, along with the new stuff provided with Saturn's edition.

Did you speak of those aditions with IlDucci, for the spanish translation? That'd be great!

PD: I watched on youtube the intro, translated to spanish. It's friggin awesome!.

But I do have a question, that you (native english speakers) could answer accuratelly:

BEYOND COAST , AS A "PLACE" translates more like "Coast of Beyond" than "Beyond of the Coast", right?
In the spanish translation, they translated it as "Mas Allá de la Costa" (Beyond of the Coast //farther than Coast) and I just can't help but to think that "Costa del Mas Allá" (Coast of Beyond) is the way to go.
I hope I made myself clear with that. What do you think?
Titties & Beers!
Stratoslava

Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Postby TechNoir » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:27 am

TechNoir
Runner

Postby IlDucci » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 am

That line will be removed in the final version. There was some complaints about it on the EOL forums, and that was just to clarify the name, as the whole Spanish translation keeps using Beyond or Beyond Coast in English.

Also, Marc's additions are already being used on the Spanish translation.
IlDucci

Postby Genki » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 am

Sorry for asking (I didn't want to make a new thread on this) but the project is still going, right?

I just can't help but worry when we don't hear anything about it for a while (like the Ace Combat 3 translation)...
Genki

PreviousNext

Return to Policenauts