[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Junker HQ • View topic - PC Engine Version Translation

PC Engine Version Translation

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the section by MrRudi.

Re: PC Engine Version Translation

Postby SnatcherMkII » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I've heard that the code restores the nudes and shit, but not everything else.

If you want a comparison between every Snatcher version, then go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/liquidpolic ... atcher+ost
SnatcherMkII
Runner

Postby Kojima Hideo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Damn!
Kojima Hideo

Postby GirianSeed573 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 pm

「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant

Postby Shifty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Shifty

Postby TheBardsSong » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Y'know, I'm really confused why exactly the 32-bit versions get so much hate. The Saturn version in particular is usually said to be more censored than it actually is. I think most people think the two 32-bit versions to be identical, when in reality they're actually pretty different from each other when it comes to censorship. In fact the only censorship I can recall in the Saturn version is the scene with the dog.

The Saturn port was the first version of Snatcher I played all the way through personally and I loved the soundtrack, it had a nice creepy/atmospheric feel to it. The one thing I won't argue with is that the look of the game just doesn't match up to earlier versions.
TheBardsSong

Postby AwesomeBrand » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 am

I've ALWAYS heard the saturn version was less censored than the ps1 version, but recently heard the music sampling in the Saturn version is inferior or something I wouldn't understand. Also...

:x
It's like they got a braindead monkey to compose this version of Innocent Girl
Other than this song, out of what I've heard, the Saturn/PS1 soundtrack is fine as long as you don't compare it to other versions too much, and even then most of it is pleasing enough. I actually prefer the PS1/SS version of the song in Gillian's Apartment instead of the SegaCD version, which sounds WAY too tense for no reason. >.>
What I'm interested in is the maze. I heard somewhere that the 32-bit versions added a maze somewhere, I think it's after the bombing in Queen's Hospital?
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Postby GirianSeed573 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant

Postby TheBardsSong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Yeah, I've heard the Saturn version is technically inferior when it comes to sound too... although oddly I prefer some of it's tracks over the PSX port, one being Pleasure of Tension. While Innocent Girl was butchered badly... I actually do prefer 3 tracks in the 32-bit versions. Creeping Silence, Outer Heaven, and Pleasure of Tension (Saturn) are all even better in the 32-bit soundtrack if you ask me.

Also, that maze was a real pain... it might not have been had I actually understood Japanese, but man I wandered around for like 30 minutes (might be an exaggeration) before figuring out where I was supposed to go. If you actually understand Japanese it might be a cool addition as it does add a bit more variety and a greater sense of isolation. For us who don't it's more of a flaw than anything.
TheBardsSong

Postby GirianSeed573 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 pm

「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant

Postby julayla » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey, I'm new here, but I have been a fan of the works of Mr. Kojima for a very long time and I have to wonder, do you think that the game should also require a new dub to better fit the retranslation of Snatcher, by any chance? I mean if it works for Ys, I'm sure it could work for the PC Engine version of Snatcher (and Sailor Moon & Ranma if possible) too.
julayla

Postby AwesomeBrand » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:03 pm

there's a chance that could work but they'd have to engineer those parts to match up with the english dialogue. That and some scenes are simply nonexistent in the Japanese version which, in the case of scenes that use redbook audio, would require editing the tracks to match those scenes (which may not even work since one of the most common problems for people is the track isn't the right length or something, requiring more programming) or remaking/importing entire scenes which would counter what the project was meant to do (experience what Japanese gamers experienced) in addition to being a pain in the ass. Sadly this badboy is probably not happening at least not anytime soon since Marc's working on MGSV so he wouldn't be able to work on it even if he DID change his mind about not taking it up.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Postby skeith467 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:00 am

How long has the project been put on "hiatus" for? I haven't really read any news in a long time. (First time on junker hq friend told me about the patch around 2009?) Is it because of mgs v? Or what's up with the translation?
skeith467

Postby skeith467 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 am

Thought i'd bring this back up since it's been at least 3 years since a last post....
skeith467

Postby AwesomeBrand » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:46 pm

AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Postby skeith467 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:11 am

Yeah man 7 goddamn years..... Any contact with merc since mgs v?
Geez time flies pretty fast huh?
skeith467

Postby TechNoir » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 am

There's more chance of me getting laid than Marc coming here until MGSV release.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
TechNoir
Runner

Postby Jexis Lexington » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Holy cow, Marc is working on MGSV? In what capacity? Wow...
Jexis Lexington

Postby GirianSeed573 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:52 pm

He happened to get the project through INTAC and his name was in the credits for Ground Zeroes, so it's easy to assume that he also worked on the script for The Phantom Pain since they've been doing English voice work on it since at least late 2012.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant

Postby z4k » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 am

Hello, is there any status update, or a Status page for the translation? Hope its still active :) thanks!
z4k

It's been 10 years...

Postby AwesomeBrand » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:29 am

AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Postby wstudio » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:47 am

Too bad it stopped. Eventhough this is a niche, I always fantasized playing an english version of the PCE version.
Maybe the fact it will be on the japanese mini-PCE release will attrack more enthousiats !
cheers
wstudio

Postby Artemio » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:22 pm

I hope it does.

Thing is, the PCE utilizes a scheme loading raw binary chunks from the CD. These can be code, audio or graphics of course. Each one of these blocks needs to be sorted out and then rearranged. There is no filesystem, and this makes analysis trickier for the starting point.

There are incredible tools that would aid on this, like PCEMON https://chrismcovell.com/PCEmon/index.html and the CD Stupid Card http://www.tailchao.com/TurboGrafx/index.php

And then there is the issue of creating either subtitles or using the existing dub which isn't a perfect match for all scenes or music.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[]
Artemio
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Snatcher