Kojima's stunts

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Gin-Ryu

Kojima's stunts

Post by Gin-Ryu »

Ok I love Kojima's game and all but why did he said MGS2 would be is last MG but then he "returned" with MGS3, now he's doing the same thing with the new Metal Gear, is it all just a comercial "stunt"?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I bet it has a lot to do with that, but I am also inclined to believe that circunmstances have pushed things too.

I believe that he really meant tose things, but he was not free to make such statements since it is a big franchise for Koanmi. Being in the possition of vice president, with the responsability that has was a compromising situation in more than one way. And it might have lead to conflict of interests, if you've ever been in such a management position, you'll understand what I mean exactly.

That's why it makes a lot of sense to create Kojima productions, and also every step does make some sense. Of course, we will never really know, and it really doesn't matter.. does it? while we get quality games (condition that has been met so far) I am alright. And, we are always free to stop buying them.

In the case of Metal Gear, yes it is a bit sad it cannot end yet, but there are some therads hanging there that might be interesting to explore. Unfortunately, it is a mainstream franchise, and it carries the trouble (and benefits) it must.

I am more interested on the team's side projects though.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

I think Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli are in the same boat. With every movie he says that it'll be his last, but the lack of an apparent heir has forced him to pull in the reigns and do it himself. A movie can sell based on a director's name but it seems in alot of cases a video game franchise supercede's anyone behind the scenes.
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Kojima's not in the exact position. His team just doesn't want to let him go. He wants to leave, I'm sure.
essell

Post by essell »

kojima has said in an interview or two that the whole "this is my last hands-on metal gear solid" thing was a misunderstanding in translation.

prior to forming kojima productions, he said that he wanted to forget about the business side of things [as a high-up executive in konami] and just concentrate on making great games. this was translated as "producing great games" in an interview, and the western games media took this to mean that he would only act as producer on future games.
Bioroid

Post by Bioroid »

essell wrote:kojima has said in an interview or two that the whole "this is my last hands-on metal gear solid" thing was a misunderstanding in translation.

prior to forming kojima productions, he said that he wanted to forget about the business side of things [as a high-up executive in konami] and just concentrate on making great games. this was translated as "producing great games" in an interview, and the western games media took this to mean that he would only act as producer on future games.
Yeah, I read about that but I'm going to call BS on this one. Kojima's a terrible liar, but he's still a genious.
fogleus

Post by fogleus »

from what i can gather the reason behind kojima statements and restatements is because when he plans for it to be the end fans keep asking for more so he gives them what he wants. because you wouldnt want the game to be turned over to some jackass that can tell the difference between snake and raiden would you.
You will be fogle
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

I think he's creating reasons for him to stay on the series. After all, with MGS3 he wanted to create a jungle atmosphere, and he knew he needed to be there for his team to guide them in the right direction. Now with MGS4, he's eager to work on the new hardware, and that's another reason for him to stick around. If it weren't for those changes, he probably would've left after MGS2. Well, there's that and the fact that he felt the need to make-up to the fans for MGS2's off-the-wall plot.
Dave
Kojima games owned: Snatcher Pilot Disk - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher CD-ROMantic - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher - SS (NTSC-J)
Policenauts Pilot Disk - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - PSX (NTSC-J) x2
Policenauts Limited Edition - SS (NTSC-J)
Zone of The Enders - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear - NES (NTSC)
Snake's Revenge - NES (NTSc)
Metal Gear Solid - GBC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid GH - PSX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC (Sealed)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Integral The Best - PSX (NTSC-J)
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid - DC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear>>Solid Snake OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 The Other Side OST
Xbox Live: Devin320

Post by Dave »

If Kojima did not choose to make MGS3 it would have never been made (at least not in the same way). He came up with the idea after MGS2 and went out into his office and pretty much said "This is my idea for a new Metal Gear game, who wants in?" Nobody did at the time so he decided to start it himself.